• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

goyt repeat catches

I am a very infrequent visitor to the Goyt (wife comes from Gee Cross) but would say that compared to some of the fisheries that most of us are used to it is very small so repeat captures are inevitable.

I am a very infrequent visitor to the Goyt (wife comes from Gee Cross) but would say that compared to some of the fisheries that most of us are used to it is very small so repeat captures are inevitable.

Unless you are prepared to search elsewhere on the river - with the inevitable blank sessions.

Indeed, David. Blanks are inevitable in all swims on all rivers, not just the Goyt.

I believe one particular fish has been caught a few times already this season - apparently twice in one week in swims some distance apart. It hasn't graced my net, I might add. Perhaps because I'm a more infrequent angler.

Brian - wouldn't this question be better posed in the River Reports section? :)

Indeed, David. Blanks are inevitable in all swims on all rivers, not just the Goyt.

I believe one particular fish has been caught a few times already this season - apparently twice in one week in swims some distance apart. It hasn't graced my net, I might add. Perhaps because I'm a more infrequent angler.

Brian - wouldn't this question be better posed in the River Reports section? :)

not much use posting in there as the last report was 29/09/12 by dave better in open section
believe you had a nice fish last week but no report :eek:

not much use posting in there as the last report was 29/09/12 by dave better in open section
believe you had a nice fish last week but no report :eek:

True enough, Gary. Had a fish of 12lb 8oz, using the 'pin, as I mostly do nowadays. Conditions were perfect, with a slowly falling river and plenty of colour.

Most of the past forum posters have been put off by all the sniping on the river thread. The irony being that the guys that fish at pear mill exclusively, aren't even registered on BFW. Thus the grumblings fall on deaf ears.

It's all a bit of a shame really.

Last edited:
Indeed, David. Blanks are inevitable in all swims on all rivers, not just the Goyt.QUOTE]

As are repeat captures - one very well known Ribble big un was caught twice within a couple of hours a few weeks ago. Big river or small river it doesn't matter - there isn't an endless supply of virgin barbel and repeat captures are inevitable. Searching out new areas is all well and good but on big rivers like the Ribble you can move 4 or 5 miles to a different stretch and still catch the same bloody fish! :)

Andrew,

At Pear Mill you only have 400 - 500 yrds to catch the same fish.

Rich,

No sniping - just a difference of opinion, I am now very happy to discuss the river Goyt and Pear Mill on an open forum - the horses have left this particular field.

Brian,

Go to PM for your double, the method is in the archives - it only took 2 visits !!! And I have heard that it took some 1 visit. I will repost it on the thread if you cannot find it.

Dave

Repeat Captures

Very Funny Andrew,

But also very true no matter which River big or small take the the fish at Adams all those years ago as far as I'm concerned whatever sinks your Float what does it matter as long as the enjoyment is still there I mean lets be honest no matter what species you are targeting big or small do people honestly believe that they are all virgin fish that have never seen a hook before I think not.
But on a more positive note if you have been using a particular bait be it homemade or shop bought and you are having repeat captures on it then for me the Fish that you are targetting like what you're giving them so happy days:D and I for one have had plenty of recaptures of particular Fish all over the country and never not felt the same excitement of a Big Fish or a Targeted species netted plus its nice to know that a known Fish is still around and packing the weight on since the their last visit to a Lucky Anglers Net.

So Tight Lines All and above all enjoy what you do.
Paul

Hi Paul,

No, I do not believe that they are all virgin fish, but a fish caught away from the circus and other popular swims/stretches to me, will be. Especially from swims and areas that I know no one fishes including you. If I catch them again sometime in the future then they become an old friend.

That is one of the reasons I stopped fishing ponds etc. I found it boring targeting the same fish.

Dave

Repeat Captures

Hi Dave,

Hope you are well, fair point and I do tend to agree with you in part but as I've always said each to their own if we all thought and did the same things in life it would be a very boring existence indeed keep up with the pioneering and I wish you tight lines and wet nets both now and in the future.

PS you'd be surprised where I get when fishing as I'm not averse to a spot of pioneering myself as I too dislike crowds most of the time but I do like catching what I target.

See you on the Bank somewhere :D
Paul

Back