• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gortex socks

Graham Billingham

Got some waterproof boots that are not waterproof.Don't expect to stand in water but would like dry feet just walking through wet grass :(.Anyone know to a gortex type material made into socks.Seen something a while back on a USA web site so theres something out there.

If the seals on the boots are okay, you should be able to waterproof the boots with nikwax, beeswax, mink oil or other silicone based paste. I use to use nikwax on my Hi Tecs Oregons and they lasted 9 years. They only went last year, because i left them in the garage covered in mud and forgot about them. The new Hi Tec Wyomings, which i got for £35 new also take nikwax, but there are other good products out there.

Paul

Graham...firstly, can I say that there are many boots/shoes sold which claim to be waterproof and are perhaps resistant to water ingress when they are new...probably been sprayed with some concoction or other !! BUT to be properly waterproof they need to have a membrane like "Gortex"....My leather Gortex boots get a thick coating of Renapur Balsam during the winter months and I honestly say that they are waterproof....I have not had wet feet even when I have "paddled" in shallow water....My comments can only apply to leather boots so if your boots fit that description I heartily recommend you give it a try....My 250ml container is still going strong after 2 winters !!!

http://www.renapur.com

I still say that you can't beat an eVent lined boot. My Technicals have had some stick, and they're still good as gold.

Waterproof socks? Yes, I've had some Sealskinz and they're good. I'd imagine though that wearing them with a boot that appears to be made by Tetley might decrease their lifespan.
A proofer on the outers, as others have advised, will certainly help.

Back