• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gortex Jacket Cleaning.

R

Robert Woods

My ex army gortex jacket needs cleaning. As I made a mess of washing a Sympatex French one in past I don't want to ruin it. How can I freshen it up...?

Looked on Nikwax's products. It says first clean with Tech Wsh & then rince with TX Direct wash-i to reproof. Can do it by hand so no chance of washing powder contamination.

Nikwax are good and safe, Robert - successfully did one jacket with probably the very same products (don't, ever, go anywhere near a washing machine) and some pairs of boots with the relevant cleaning & reproofing products by the same firm.

Keep it cool and strictly by hand.

Once a year with out fail, (whether it needs it or not), I rinse mine in luke warm water changing it regularly until it runs clear. I'm sure its not perfect but I only wear it for fishing and it seems to do the job.

hi Robert this is a good guide to reproofing gore-tex jackets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYX-eOod1F8&feature=player_embedded

I have a gore-tex jacket around 8 years old that still beads water of perfect

i use a wash in cleaner from grangers then use the spray on xt proofer as i think it's a lot better than the wash in proofer

a good tip i found if the jacket is really dirty is to replace the wash in cleaner with NON BIO washing powder as its better at removing the built up crud

the cleaner the jacket before applying the proofer the better it will work

cheers james

Found some Nikwax cleaner & reproofer in garage. Just flooded kitchen washing my jacket & over trousers...:eek:. It's amazing how much mud they collect. Hopefully they would be o/k as it's pouring down in Runcorn.

Back