• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gorleston Tackle, Great Yarmouth

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi All, help needed please!! I've been desperately trying to get the handles changed on a couple of Free Spirits but after a month I don't seem to have got very far. I've contacted 8-10 rod builders and they're either too busy, not interested unless it's a full rod build, or they are not equipped to do want I want doing. I've only had a vague expression of interest... plus Gorleston Tackle (who quickly quoted me, without asking any questions whatsoever!). But they appear to be much more sea fishing orientated, and at the 'basic', rough 'n ready end of customising. Does anyone on here know anything about Gorleston Tackle? Has anyone on here had a rod built/customised by them? I just want the job done, and am getting desperate:eek::D

Try The Tackle Box in Dartford, telephone 01322 292400, very helpful and they have rod builders on site.
I recently had the handle on a Daiwa 11/13 ft feeder rod changed to a Fuji reel seat. It took about two weeks although I was quoted four weeks. It was around £30 and involved stripping down a fair bit of the cork handle . I don't know what you want done but it might be worth a phone call.

Try The Tackle Box in Dartford, telephone 01322 292400, very helpful and they have rod builders on site.
I recently had the handle on a Daiwa 11/13 ft feeder rod changed to a Fuji reel seat. It took about two weeks although I was quoted four weeks. It was around £30 and involved stripping down a fair bit of the cork handle . I don't know what you want done but it might be worth a phone call.
Cheers Rodney... may well give them a ring. I'm quite happy to spend a couple of hundred quid on 2 handle changes, but there seems little interest (ability?) in such work. I don't think there's many craftsmen left.

Cork is expensive, especially so for the half decent stuff. Reckon that the cork shives in this handle cost £30 at 'years ago' prices. Too much reliance these days on 'preformed' cork tubes and generally poor quality cork. Rubberised cork used at wear points on this example and custom made reel seat.

IMG_0947 crop 1200.jpg

Last edited:
Hi - have you managed to find anyone yet, not sure where you are but I have someone round the corner who has done a couple of handles for me - he used to do work for Simpsons in Turnford back in the day, I am in Thetford in Norfolk. Hope this helps

Hi - have you managed to find anyone yet, not sure where you are but I have someone round the corner who has done a couple of handles for me - he used to do work for Simpsons in Turnford back in the day, I am in Thetford in Norfolk. Hope this helps
Hi Garry, I'm in Worcestershire. I've now found a couple of guys who can/might do some (just some) of what I want. They can't do graphics, and they struggle with non-standard fore-grips. If it ain't 'standard' then it's highly questionable.. but they are the best I've found. It's going to be a compromise, and I know I'm not going to get what I really want... but the rods will 'work' all the same. Craftsmanship has now more or less gone, it's amazing what is not now available. If it ain't 'on the self' or 'avail to order', you can't have it. I must say it's been a learning experience.. and it's a great pity Bob Gill's not got offspring into the dark art of rod building, as opposed to 'assembling'. :eek::eek::eek: Hey-ho.

Hi Garry, I'm in Worcestershire. I've now found a couple of guys who can/might do some (just some) of what I want. They can't do graphics, and they struggle with non-standard fore-grips. If it ain't 'standard' then it's highly questionable.. but they are the best I've found. It's going to be a compromise, and I know I'm not going to get what I really want... but the rods will 'work' all the same. Craftsmanship has now more or less gone, it's amazing what is not now available. If it ain't 'on the self' or 'avail to order', you can't have it. I must say it's been a learning experience.. and it's a great pity Bob Gill's not got offspring into the dark art of rod building, as opposed to 'assembling'. :eek::eek::eek: Hey-ho.
Hi Terry - unfortunately its a business and I am sure rod builders make more from complete builds than repairs/refurbs, shame.

I had a couple of abbreviated handle changed to cork handles a few years ago by a chap called Colin Leatherbarrow, here in Manchester. Quite expensive (I thought) at £100 each, however it's been pointed out that 'A' grade cork is expensive, so perhaps I paid the going rate. Anyway, he did a great job.

Colin Leatherbarrow

I had a couple of abbreviated handle changed to cork handles a few years ago by a chap called Colin Leatherbarrow, here in Manchester. Quite expensive (I thought) at £100 each, however it's been pointed out that 'A' grade cork is expensive, so perhaps I paid the going rate. Anyway, he did a great job.

Colin Leatherbarrow
Cheers Richard, I reckon handle changes start at £90-100, and can go a lot higher. I am feeling a bit more hopeful now, although had no feedback re. Gorleston Tackle. But am learning a bit every day (mostly about what rod 'builders' can't apparently do :eek:)

A note of caution regarding cork grades in that there is no consistent standard grading system. One suppliers A grade could vary quite markedly to another supplier. Also, I have found that quality has generally fallen over the years while prices have gone up.
To give some idea, a 'shive' aka cork ring) of average quality cork, measuring just 12.5 mm in length costs around £1.00 or much higher. Taking that the average handle requires 40 'shives' then it can work out rather expensive.
The cork rings shown below are a few grades better than 'A'.

corks.jpg

Most rod builders see the obvious advantages of building with preformed cork tubes, ready bored and finished.

Back