• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

good quality fishing line.

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Hi there I was just wandering if anyone has an good recommendations for a good quality fishing line for pike fishing. I have been using braid but found that as well as it was I was always afraid of it getting knotted up.
I don't do a huge amount of piking but a lot of my piking fishing is float based so I didn't know if there was any line that didn't sink line a stone but didn't know if I needed a floating line.
any help will be appreciated.
Alex

Alex - I use Korum Xpert reel line and Berkley Big Game, and nothing else. They are both excellent lines. The Big Game is perhaps a bit tougher (it tends to break several pounds higher than stated - the 12lb is more like 15lb), but the Korum is more supple. I typically use both in the same session - Korum 10lb on one rod and Big Game 12lb on the other.

Neither are floating, but they don't sink down quick either. But for pike float fishing, you don't really need floating line anyway - because you're not hitting a bite immediately, like you would conventional coarse float fishing, quick line pick up is not an issue. In fact I personally prefer the line to be under the surface so it doesn't get towed and/or so any rubbish coming down in the flow doesn't get caught on it (at least on the surface).

Alex,
I'd be inclined to stick with what you are happy with (I'm a Big Game man) and if you want it to float get some Mucilin from your tackle shop and treat the line up from the float. If you can't find it in your tackle shop it's readily available on eBay.
Regards
Bill

Whatever line you choose please make sure it's a good strength. I use 45lb braid and the reason for using such strong line has nothing at all to do with landing fish. If I get hooked up on a snag then the hook will straighten before the line breaks and I won't leave a bait in the water with hooks in it.

Whatever line you choose please make sure it's a good strength. I use 45lb braid and the reason for using such strong line has nothing at all to do with landing fish. If I get hooked up on a snag then the hook will straighten before the line breaks and I won't leave a bait in the water with hooks in it.

That's one of the reasons I much prefer braid for pike, that and the fact its much better for setting hooks, especially when using fishing drifter floats at range.

Back