• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Good Luck

Bill Walford

Senior Member & Supporter
Any members giving it a final go today, I wish you luck and a successful day. Many like me will have closed the curtains on this years river season and will have started making plans anew for the spring and three months hence, the glorious 16th. Whatever you are doing/planning please keep us all posted, it’s great to hear of your exploits from all around the country 🇬🇧 (and France 🇫🇷)

nothing doing here bill i’m just sunbathing but a cold start this morning

Attachments

• D6A61720-B989-4A7C-9F75-CAE22C1792A4.jpeg
    D6A61720-B989-4A7C-9F75-CAE22C1792A4.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 146
My last trip was on Saturday and it was a good un
7 nice chub and my first barbel of 2022 with 3 to 8-4
Everyone caught well which was good
As usual for end of the season the sun is out, the wind has dropped along with the river, the bodsare singing their heads off and the fish are having it
And I’ve done my back in 😩😩 otherwise I’d be out today
Always mixed feelings with the closed season but have been fishing virtually every week for 9 months so payback time for Mrs R and time to give the pike a rest and let them spawn

Didn't go..the weather took a turn for the 'better' or as we are concerned the worst c/w morning frost

It was nice though to be walking with the dogs in the Spring sunshine, and thoughts turning to early Tench. 😑

Managed one last outing, yesterday, on my new venue (River Ribble near Preston) since moving from Leicestershire to Huyton back in December.
Not particularly ideal conditions (low, clear water level although good temp of 9.5C , and bright windy weather:() so I knew that nothing much would happen 'til later around at dusk....sure enough, at around 5.45 pm my downstream alarm signalled a screaming run and I happily netted what turned out to be my (Ribble) PB since fishing it from just early February....a cracker of 11llb 7oz:)

IMG-20220314-WA0000.jpg

this is now the time when our rivers will see a surge of people fishing for the pot some crafty ones arriving at midnight and fishing thru the night and who is there to stop them ?
of course there are people that simply dont believe it happens on their rivers because they havent seen anyone LOL
sad really they have no idea

I dont know what the answer is other than getting rid of the closed season that would definitely help

I will never forget 3 years ago I was in Notts fed and June 15 saw me at Clifton bridge set up at lunch time along with around 6 other anglers on the opposite bank were 3 Polish (I worked with polish for 5 years so know the language when I hear it )) spinning saw them catch 2 pike I phoned and reported it but sod all happened of course

and mid day june 16th saw every peg taken
a lady dog walker stopped and said wow never seen so many anglers is it a competition ?? no its the start of the fishing season and as we havent been able to fish for 3 months

what ? I walk my dog twice a day here and there have always been 2 or 3 anglers most days ??? for the past 3months I can assure you !!!

It happens over here too Gerry. Anglers night fishing for carp where night fishing isn't permitted and nibht fishing for catfish and other predators using baits that are not cereal based. They don't speak Polish though. English is their Mother tongue. In Cyprus there were lots of evidence of illegal night fishing in the inland dams. When I had my rod licence checked I asked the police officer about it. He said it was Cypriots. Theg came to the water at dusk, lit a fire, opened some bottles and did a bit of fishing. They could hear any vehicle approach from kilometres away so had plenty of time to hide their rods.

It will always happen and there is little that can be done to prevent it.

Back