• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Good barbel rivers in Yorkshire

Kelam Keitch

Hi all I am just starting out on the river/barbel scene I would appreciate any advice on the best place for me to start this up and coming season I live in hull so if there was anywhere close to home worth a go would be nice but willing to travel to get amongst the action. Thanks Kelam.

Hi Kelam,

There are some in the Hull but fair to say that to target them specifically would probably drive you mad!

Might be better to try the Derwent around Stamford Bridge (about 45 mins away). Alternatively, joining the York, Leeds or Bradford clubs would give you access to plenty of rivers with good potential such as the Nidd, Wharfe, Ouse, Swale and some of the more renowned stretches of the Derwent. I used to live in the Hull area and the YDAA yearbook was always my first choice for my river angling.

Should have added that the free section around Stamford Bridge is limited to the picnic area on the left bank just below the road bridge and at the back of the shops. The area at the back of the pub is strictly speaking owned by the pub but they haven't collected day ticket money in years.

Should have added that the free section around Stamford Bridge is limited to the picnic area on the left bank just below the road bridge and at the back of the shops. The area at the back of the pub is strictly speaking owned by the pub but they haven't collected day ticket money in years.

Tight wad ! :)

There is Always the river Don which has a good head of fish. Have a look at the mileage to all the areas you want to fish as you may find the Tidal Trent is possibly closer, apparently on the grapevine there is Barbel there too but dont tell everyone.

Agreed on the Tidal Trent. Probably as close and has a better head of barbel than the yorkshire rivers. Not as pretty of course - it depends on what you want! Hull & DAA have a stretch at Carlton.

Thanks guys for all the info much appreciated. I already have a hull&district book so thinking about starting on the Trent first possibly but I like the sound of the don and Swale ( what Iv read on Internet ) thinking of having a drive up to done stretches pre season to see what takes my fancy.

Interesting when he's fishing swims that I know! Haven't seen myself on any of the clips yet but I have seen people I recognise.

I know he gets a lot of stick from some people but his guide on how to find some of the stretches are worth their weight in gold. Can't criticise his dedication and he puts a lot of time in on the bank.

I know he gets a lot of stick from some people but his guide on how to find some of the stretches are worth their weight in gold. Can't criticise his dedication and he puts a lot of time in on the bank.

He's even produced a good guide of Throop and The Royalty - he certainly gets about.... :)

Mike - I had no idea his name is Tom. Slightly disappointed to be honest... :)

River Rother has a cracking head of Barbel (in a certain stretch) pm me for details ;)

I've enjoyed tons videos on the Swale. Certainly got me into Swale fishing initially, and whilst I don't always agree with hi tactics, you can't doubt his effort

"I have had the pleasure of fishing and sharing a pint with him several times. Great guy!"

Typical Yorkshiremen! Sharing a pint!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Matt

Back