• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gloves for fishing

I see they advertise neoprene socks in that link Steve,....it reminded me that I was going to mention on a new thread just how much that material makes me sweat.
I've bought a pair of neoprene chest waders along with some neoprene lined wellies this year and both pairs leave socks and strides soaking after walking a few hundred yards. You don't realise it until you take them off back at the motor,..unless they're leaking or I've got some weird biological ailment!:eek::D

Am the same Dave with my Neoprene wellies. Even wearing them for half an hour my socks are ringing wet with sweat. Am going back to the old rubber type.

Back to the subject of gloves. It has to be bloody freezing before i put a pair on. But Ive had a pair of TFG Neoprene for years, the one's where the fingers fold back. Used them in Norway last year and kept my hand nice and warm even when wet. Think they only cost a fiver in their sale.

Fly fishing clothing is far more advanced than stuff designed for coarse fishing and in America they do a lot of fishing in VERY cold conditions. Breatheability is the key to keeping warm where sweat and getting wet are involved. I've no experience of any of these products but I'm sure there will be some excellent products there. Simms are without doubt the best clothing/wader manufacturers and Guideline are up there with the best too.
Sportfish Reading are very helpful and spoke highly of some Goretex gloves when I made a recent inquiry about some waders.
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle/fishing-clothing/fly-fishing-gloves.html
Re chargeable handwarmers available now too.

Fly fishing clothing is far more advanced than stuff designed for coarse fishing and in America they do a lot of fishing in VERY cold conditions. Breatheability is the key to keeping warm where sweat and getting wet are involved. I've no experience of any of these products but I'm sure there will be some excellent products there. Simms are without doubt the best clothing/wader manufacturers and Guideline are up there with the best too.
Sportfish Reading are very helpful and spoke highly of some Goretex gloves when I made a recent inquiry about some waders.
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle/fishing-clothing/fly-fishing-gloves.html
Re chargeable handwarmers available now too.

I have a pair of sims fleece lined breathable fingerless that i use for salmon fishing in the highlands/ late season grayling...ridiculously overpriced but very very good, designed to keep you warm even after you have dunked them in releasing a fish. Fortunately i have a generous and game fishing mad aunt who lives near Farlows, which explains how i got a pair! Only problem is i couldnt bring myself to use them if there was any smelly bait involved!

Just pulling this old thread back to the top... 3 years later and potentially some more/ different views?

I’m looking for a new pair and GORE-TEX strikes me as the obvious choice for delivering the best combination of waterproof, windproof and breathable properties. Anyone own or have experience of decent GORE-TEX gloves?

I tried lots of hand warmers over the years starting with the old charcoal stick ones 50 years ago then the zippo and clones until I bought the absolute best not cheap ! but in this case you do get what you pay for IMHO
google ......>>S-Boston Pocket Hand Warmer

As I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis, I do feel the cold, though not prepared to stop fishing, I have had a pair of Simms guide half mitts for many years, they are still perfect. Even on the coldest days I will trot the swim all day, without these mitts I would certainly suffer and perhaps give in after a couple of hours. Yes they might seem costly to some people but you get what you pay for.

I buy fingerless gloves knitted in a thermal yarn from an industrial workwear supplier which seem to do me. The bit I find makes my hands cold is carrying stuff back to the car especially my metal framed chair so for the walk back I put on a thin pair of runner's gloves over the top. Various types can be seen here including a merino wool version https://www.ronhill.com/classic-glove

As I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis, I do feel the cold, though not prepared to stop fishing, I have had a pair of Simms guide half mitts for many years, they are still perfect. Even on the coldest days I will trot the swim all day, without these mitts I would certainly suffer and perhaps give in after a couple of hours. Yes they might seem costly to some people but you get what you pay for.
Hi Martin , sorry about your condition. Do you have a link to the gloves that you wear as there seems to be more than one

Colin my mitts are around 12 years old, these are probably the nearest mitts I hope this helps Regards Martin
Simms Guide Windbloc 1/2 Mitt

Back