• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gloves for fishing

Dave Taylor

Looking at the hoare frost outside this morning reminded me that I need some new gloves.
I brought a pair of neoprene gloves a few years ago and was disappointed, my fingers froze in them. I wondered if it was because they didn't allow air circulation, being quite a snug fit?
The warmest have been the waterproof mitten type with the Velcro peel-back fingers and thumb, but they are a bit cumbersome.
Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Skytec Argon Size 8/M 1 Pair Of HPT Foam Cold Protection Grip Thermal Gloves Upto -50c
#

Dave search Amazon for these, rated to minus 50c.

Last edited:
Just an experience based warning with the Skytec - I bought a pair a couple of years ago for winter cycling, and they basically fell apart within a few months. They also weren't particularly wind proof, if this is also a concern for you.

I now use ski gloves and thin liners for cycling, and for fishing I just have some thick thinsulate fingerless gloves with a mitten cover, which work fine. They're not waterproof, but proper waterproof usually means either neoprene (which you've already said you didn't get on with), or a waterproof layer stitched into the glove lining, which gives you sweaty hands in no time at all and invariably ends up leaving them cold because of that anyway.

What with fishing and cycling, I've tested and gone through gloves like nobody's, and have come to the conclusion that there is no glove in existence which is lightweight, dextrous, warm, water proof, wind proof, breathable and affordable.

Rubbing a dob of Vaseline well into your hands, keep rubbing until they're not greasy any more, and use fingerless gloves. Has always worked for me.

Dachstein mits are the warmest on the planet and can easily be pulled off...problem is then your hands freeze while playing the fish...oh wait i forgot its winter and i don't catch anything...

Thanks guys,...been googling a few sites and hadn't realised choosing gloves has turned into a science since I last brought a pair!
I'm considering giving some fingerless neoprene gloves with added Vaseline a try. :)
ATB Dave

I know you've said gloves Dave but I suffer from Raynauds phenomenon so have cold hands nearly all the time. I have two of the peacock hand warmers, one in each pocket and they are brilliant. But if you are holding a fishing rod trotting they wont be any good.

Rapala pro wear titanium gloves are good, thin nioprine with finger and thumb missing. I use these for match fishing, there's no need to keep taking them off! The titanium reflects heat back into your hands.

I know you've said gloves Dave but I suffer from Raynauds phenomenon so have cold hands nearly all the time. I have two of the peacock hand warmers, one in each pocket and they are brilliant. But if you are holding a fishing rod trotting they wont be any good.

Hi Paul. ive got a couple of the peacock ones, but was always worried if the smell of petrol/fluid, would transfer from your hands to the bait.? Have you ever found this an issue ?

Sorry to hear about your condition Paul. With your exception, if you can keep your core temperature up it helps keep the circulation going to the extremities. I have a handwarmer but hang it round my neck and have it inside my jacket for this purpose....this and any number of layers to keep the heat in. As for gloves, I have a pair of German Army Goretex faux fur lined snow mitts which are pretty good. I also have some of the Aldi neoprene gloves with the roll-back finger tips. Wore them for the first time the other day and they seemed OK. For trotting in cold weather....cold hands I'm afraid.

Like a lot of anglers I have suffered at times over the years with cold hands but not anymore. I use a pair of merino wool fingerless gloves which stay on all day if it's really cold. Often the worst time though is when you are carting your gear to a swim, so I also wear a pair of army issue fur lined snow mitts over the top of the fingerless gloves until I get where I want to fish and these keep me toasty. On top of all that I also have a couple of zippo hand warmers which are great for that extra bit of comfort on bad days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O474Y0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0041L0YIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi Paul. ive got a couple of the peacock ones, but was always worried if the smell of petrol/fluid, would transfer from your hands to the bait.? Have you ever found this an issue ?

Hi mate, never found it an issue Derek, saying that Im not casting in every 10mins in winter, I'll leave it out more than 2hrs sometimes;)

I see they advertise neoprene socks in that link Steve,....it reminded me that I was going to mention on a new thread just how much that material makes me sweat.
I've brought a pair of neoprene chest waders along with some neoprene lined wellies this year and both pairs leave socks and strides soaking after walking a few hundred yards. You don't realise it until you take them off back at the motor,..unless they're leaking or I've got some weird biological ailment!:eek::D

Back