• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

global warming

They can’t in this situation though, because denial of man-made climate change isn’t in any way a ‘truth’. There’s decades and a mountain of research and evidence to prove its happening. I’m not a zealot in any way and it’s a bit strange to suggest anyone agreeing with the proven facts is one tbh.

It’s always interesting and a bit baffling to read conspiracy theories though, when the obvious is actually right in front of us. Take the ‘control‘ element that’s been mentioned, that somehow climate change is made up in order to control us. Yet, for starters, no government is actually doing anywhere near enough to combat climate change, they don’t really care.

Secondly, why would they do it covertly? They’re doing it in front of us. Look at recent law changes. The right to protest severely weakened, anti-trade union laws made stricter to the point where a union needs a far higher percentage of a vote in order to strike than a government does to be elected as a majority to run the country. Taking away peoples power bit by bit. That’s the stuff we should be worried about, yet ironically quite a lot of the population actually supports law changes like these!

Then there’s tax, the Tories have just shoved up taxes even higher than they already were, and they were the highest for 70 years. They don’t need to make stuff up, they just take the absolute piss anyway, grabbing as much of our money as they can until they inevitably get voted out in 2 years.
I thought we were discussing climate change?

You may well be right except that you seem to have forgotten that the climate changed periodIcally before ‘man’ roamed the earth. Not everything is ‘ somebody’s’ fault.
I agree that pollution is poisoning the earth though and that can be proved without doubt. And that is all if our’s fault.
G.T.

I haven’t forgotten at all. As I’ve mentioned already, it‘s the unprecedented pace of climate change that is down to humans, and largely Co2 production. It’s not in doubt and not argued by anyone credible - it’s our fault.

You’re absolutely right with the pollution part, which is exactly what we’re doing with Co2.

We are. Earlier in the thread someone claimed that climate change was being used to control us. The government don’t need an excuse for that, they’re doing it anyway.
Without getting into political ideology at all Rob…..governments govern…..it’s what we pay them for……if we don’t like it we simply vote the other lot in who we then vote out as they are just as bad. Simple really and hardly worth getting excited about in my humble opinion.
G.T.

An interesting article in many ways...

An interesting article in many ways...
I live not 20mins from the English Lakes and every year there are warnings of the toxicity of these vast waters. Yet still the LDNPA try and encourage more visitors.
It's all good!

I live not 20mins from the English Lakes and every year there are warnings of the toxicity of these vast waters. Yet still the LDNPA try and encourage more visitors.
It's all good!
I've been fishing the Lakes on and off for a variety of species for 39 years. Human shit and phosphates have been going into some of the lakes, notably, Windermere for years. Little in the way of water treatment infrastructure to keep up with to cope with the increase in tourism.

I've been fishing the Lakes on and off for a variety of species for 39 years. Human shit and phosphates have been going into some of the lakes, notably, Windermere for years. Little in the way of water treatment infrastructure to keep up with to cope with the increase in tourism.
Aye, all adding to a problem that some posit is a ruse for governments to con some out of their hard-earned...

They may list dis- and mis-information and more specifically the lack of combating them, but doesn't that stifle free speech? I think what these debates highlight is the inability for a great number of people to think logically.
I might rather have a debate than just appear to put gaffer tape over the mouths of those offering little but dis- and mis-information, but it's the inability to debate that's the issue.

They may list dis- and mis-information and more specifically the lack of combating them, but doesn't that stifle free speech? I think what these debates highlight is the inability for a great number of people to think logically.
I might rather have a debate than just appear to put gaffer tape over the mouths of those offering little but dis- and mis-information, but it's the inability to debate that's the issue.

The report clearly isn't about stiffling free-speech. It's about quantifying the hugely problematic area of misinformation and pseudoscience.

Hardly an inability to debate Damian, it is covered in the News media on a daily/ hourly fashion. Debate is healthy, but I would agree that some sides of the discussion would rather people who disagreed with them were silenced. Unfortunately this begins in schools and is now prevalent at Universities.
G.T.

The report clearly isn't about stiffling free-speech. It's about quantifying the hugely problematic area of misinformation and pseudoscience.
But what is misinformation and pseudoscience to those that believe them?

There is little, if any mature debate, on the 'main-stream media, on the subject of 'climate change'. Contrary scientific views (that don't fit the mainstream narrative) on other media outlets are frequently removed. The autocue news readers handle the subject as though future climate armageddon is a certainty. Unless of course the majority are subject to restrictions to their everyday life with increases in movement taxes and surveillance.

I am open to having my opinion changed, however currently, I am more than happy to be classed as a climate change denier.

...The autocue news readers handle the subject as though future climate armageddon is a certainty....

I am open to having my opinion changed, however currently, I am more than happy to be classed as a climate change denier.
As like the news reader on the Sky News Australia piece?
Being open to having an opinion changed is not just saying those words out aloud! It's about being open, about looking at things case by case.
The need to underscore your climate change beliefs with the pretext that climate change is false if it is accompanied by a restriction in freedoms is somewhat limiting being open.

If you looked at a graph of co2 emissions (along with all the other damaging gases) over the last 200 years, I would assume most people’s default position would be that it must have a significant impact on the climate, and yet for some, not so. For some, the climate change agenda is being driven by vested interests who are seeking to profit from it. The vested interests in maintaining the status quo (fossil fuel dependency) which are absolutely huge by comparison, and already control our ‘democracies’ via their extensive lobbying and social networks seem to be ignored by the same people, however. This idea that the amount of green seen from space is increasing and the planet is self regulating co2 via plants doesn’t make sense either to me. Green is just a colour, is provides no indication of the co2 absorbing qualities of ‘the green’. Man is cutting down and burning forests for agriculture, releasing tons of co2 and replanting with crops which will never absorb as much co2 as the original forest. In twenty years time when the ice caps have melted and no longer reflect the suns rays and all the methane has been released from beneath the permafrost of the Siberian tundra, it will be too late. Economic growth and filling up our houses with endless crap will rightly see the end of us whether it be by climate change or war. Just like relatives at Christmas, we have overstayed our welcome on this planet. I’m 56 and I honestly think I’ll see the end. Man’s greed and the fact that sociopaths and self serving egotists seem to control our countries these days make it inevitable imo. If you check out GB news, fine, I do as well, but for heavens sake check out other news sites for some balance. Double down news, Novara media and even Russell Brand on YouTube all provide eye opening content. Listening to only news outlets that mirror your existing views isn’t healthy imo. I have some left wing opinions and some right wing ones, neither term is a dirty word as far as I’m concerned. I also have friends from both sides, some quite extreme, it’s not a problem, it’s what a democracy with free speech should be all about.

Back