• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

global warming

Cliff the climate 'change agenda' has become very political. The BBC narrative, to me, speaking personally, is in one ear and out of the other.

Reading the link that you posted brought back memories. I remember fishing Thirlmere in the Lake District for one long hot summer in 1983. It lost such a lot of water that many previous hidden structures were exposed. Perhaps just another cycle of the climate ups and downs.

I remember the drought of 1976. I lived in Essex at the time and used to fish Hanningfield resevoir. The water was so low it exposed the roofs of some buildings that had been flooded. A fly fishing friend of mine said it would take "years" for the levels to come up again. That winter they had to open the sluices to get rid of the excess water after continous heavy rain!
Climate change is real, but we have seen other freak events in the past prior to the climate change discussions.
One other thing, here in Norfolk we've had heavy rain on and off for days now. River levels are up and the frustrating thing is, you just KNOW we'll have a water shortage next summer! All that fresh rainwater just washed out to sea. Crazy.

Cliff the climate 'change agenda' has become very political. The BBC narrative, to me, speaking personally, is in one ear and out of the other.

Reading the link that you posted brought back memories. I remember fishing Thirlmere in the Lake District for one long hot summer in 1983. It lost such a lot of water that many previous hidden structures were exposed. Perhaps just another cycle of the climate ups and downs.
Hi Ady,

If climate change isn't a political issue what is?

The only possible solutions for averting a irreversible rise in global temperature are dependent on effective politcal agreements and cooperation? Are they not?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Ady,

If climate change isn't a political issue what is?

The only possible solutions for averting a irreversible rise in global temperature are dependent on effective politcal agreements and cooperation? Are they not?

Cheers,

Joe
Hi Joe.
I can empathise with people's concerns, over what they have been told is a problem, by the political/media establishment. But I just don't see it as being a real and genuine problem.

I don't profess to be in anyway an expert or knowledgeable about this subject. Due to my educational background I do try to be objective about it. What I have seen and read points me to believe that this is not a genuine problem.

This may sound conspiratorial but I think this is all about the control of the mass population through restrictions on travel, what we eat , how we spend our money and other negative consequences. I genuinely think this is heading our way. World Economic Forum, Agenda 21 , social credit scoring, Central Bank Digital Currencies (coming our way soon...not cryptos a different form of currency). It's all out there in plain sight. All about control of the population. Rather a grim future I think for future generations. Not for me I am getting old and have a sufficient resource (although it's not about me or people of my age). I have major concerns about the younger and future freedoms.

I hope we can have a good debate on this. Regards Ady

Hi Joe.
I can empathise with people's concerns, over what they have been told is a problem, by the political/media establishment. But I just don't see it as being a real and genuine problem.

I don't profess to be in anyway an expert or knowledgeable about this subject. Due to my educational background I do try to be objective about it. What I have seen and read points me to believe that this is not a genuine problem.

This may sound conspiratorial but I think this is all about the control of the mass population through restrictions on travel, what we eat , how we spend our money and other negative consequences. I genuinely think this is heading our way. World Economic Forum, Agenda 21 , social credit scoring, Central Bank Digital Currencies (coming our way soon...not cryptos a different form of currency). It's all out there in plain sight. All about control of the population. Rather a grim future I think for future generations. Not for me I am getting old and have a sufficient resource (although it's not about me or people of my age). I have major concerns about the younger and future freedoms.

To be fair Ady, I don't feel remotely qualified to debate the science regarding climate change as I'm an agri-ecologist not a climatologist. But the scientific consensus seems overwhelming amongst the expert climatologists. That's good enough for me.

The way I see it is that it is not for me, or my generation to gamble on something that may have such potentially catastrophic impact on future generations.

On a practical level the transition to a low-carbon economy/lifestyle offers significant cross-cutting benefits including public health ( e.g reducing particulate pollution and other emissions), reducing the worlds dependence on fossil fuels in favour of renewables offers significant geo-political advantages and an opportunity to redress many of economic imbalances we see across the world.

As a farmer transitioning to low-carbon farming methods offers so many other benefits such as cleaner water, healthier soils, improved biodiversity and perhaps most importantly significantly improved productivity. Win-win allround.

All these fossil fuels are going to run-out one day anyway. So let's just get on with using alternatives today rather than tomorrow.

We need to stop viewing climate change adaption as a zero-sum game. It isn't.

Cheers

Joe

To be fair Ady, I don't feel remotely qualified to debate the science regarding climate change as I'm an agri-ecologist not a climatologist. But the scientific consensus seems overwhelming amongst the expert climatologists. That's good enough for me.

The way I see it is that it is not for me, or my generation to gamble on something that may have such potentially catastrophic impact on future generations.

On a practical level the transition to a low-carbon economy/lifestyle offers significant cross-cutting benefits including public health ( e.g reducing particulate pollution and other emissions), reducing the worlds dependence on fossil fuels in favour of renewables offers significant geo-political advantages and an opportunity to redress many of economic imbalances we see across the world.

As a farmer transitioning to low-carbon farming methods offers so many other benefits such as cleaner water, healthier soils, improved biodiversity and perhaps most importantly significantly improved productivity. Win-win allround.

All these fossil fuels are going to run-out one day anyway. So let's just get on with using alternatives today rather than tomorrow.

We need to stop viewing climate change adaption as a zero-sum game. It isn't.

Cheers

Joe
I agree with all of that Joe.
Cheers Ady

Hi Joe.

There's a fundamental problem with that method of questioning (or more accurately answering) though really and that is that it is rather fundamental and unequivocal in it's disbelief of anything to the opposite - close minded!
Learning and growing is being open to everything, whether initially you like them or not.

There's a fundamental problem with that method of questioning (or more accurately answering) though really and that is that it is rather fundamental and unequivocal in it's disbelief of anything to the opposite - close minded!
Learning and growing is being open to everything, whether initially you like them or not.
What text book is that from?

It’s the speed of climate change that proves humanity is the main driver. Of course the Earth goes through cyclical climate change, but it has never warmed at the rate it is currently and that’s down to human pollution. 8 billion people on the planet and still some think we’re not having an effect and it’s all ‘natural’.

I know some would rather believe a YouTube channel telling the ‘truth’ rather than a few million scientists, but what you’ve got to remember is that the people running these channels and websites do it for clicks/views and monetary gain. They’ll continually spout the ‘evidence’ from one or two ‘scientists’ whilst ignoring the incredible amount of data we have that says the opposite.

Yes, the government are a bunch of clowns, but the ‘control’ conspiracies are just that. We all go to school, then college/uni/work, we pay our taxes and we buy a house and pay more tax, then we buy a car and pay more tax - what is there to control that they don’t already?

An interesting piece of research for digging into the subject.​

Attachments

• eco_staatsfinanzen_budget_2020_onglaeichheet_copenhagen-consensus-center_bjoern-lomborg.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
Klaus Schwab (World Economic Forum) a verified and well publicised statement. "You will own nothing and be happy".

Apparently the pecking order is the BIS (Bank of International Settlement), then the IMF, WEF and then National Government's. We can't get rid of the first three if we don't like what they're doing. Although the 'markets' got rid of our last Prime Minister and C of the E.

Lots of mainstream reference on this.

The climate debate, like most societal - impact narratives, is not a simple binary discussion. Dr Lomborg neatly unpacks the differing narratives and then tests them against the available scientific datasets and current research findings.
Like the barbel, this quality and depth of information has to be searched out.

It’s the speed of climate change that proves humanity is the main driver. Of course the Earth goes through cyclical climate change, but it has never warmed at the rate it is currently and that’s down to human pollution. 8 billion people on the planet and still some think we’re not having an effect and it’s all ‘natural’.

I know some would rather believe a YouTube channel telling the ‘truth’ rather than a few million scientists, but what you’ve got to remember is that the people running these channels and websites do it for clicks/views and monetary gain. They’ll continually spout the ‘evidence’ from one or two ‘scientists’ whilst ignoring the incredible amount of data we have that says the opposite.

Yes, the government are a bunch of clowns, but the ‘control’ conspiracies are just that. We all go to school, then college/uni/work, we pay our taxes and we buy a house and pay more tax, then we buy a car and pay more tax - what is there to control that they don’t already?
"What is there to control that they don't already"?
From what I've seen and read (GB news), the way the agenda seems to be progressing, is a limit on people's ability to travel, and also what they can eat. Private jet travel to climate change conferences and steak for certain individuals and restricted travel and dedicated insect protein for the rest.

I am not a climate change denier. The climate has changed in my lifetime, particularly the winters which are much milder. But if COVID taught us one thing it is that ‘experts’ couldn’t agree on anything and ’decisions’ were often a ’finger in the air’ job. Getting rid of pollution is in everyone’s interest no matter who is to blame.
G.T.

Back