• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

getting rid of lead when snagged

I'm not one for deliberately dropping leads and putting more money in the 'tackle guru's' pockets, it's funny how we've managed for hundreds of years without this recent fad.

Pretty well identical to the Enterprise Snag Safe lead clips available in the forum shop Gary.

Barbel Fishing World Online Shop

They work very well, with different breaking strain break-out clips to suit the other tackle in use. Silicon sleeves and all the other bits to go with them as well....or you may want to choose the simpler original version pictured above.

Cheers, Dave.

In my opinion we should all be on them, whats the point in losing a full rig when only the lead/feeder is caught. Imagine all the times you have lost a full rig including the bait and hook and some poor fish has picked it up and has to deal with a death sentence hanging off its bottom lip.
TBH i have been on them for 4 years or more, they were made by Fishtek called luresavers, they are an essential item incorporated in my rig, many a time i have been snagged up by either a fish or just a rock etc and a quick upward pull has broke the luresaver and i have retrieved my full rig minus the lead.

get on them lads if you have a conscience....no I dont work for Gardner.

Last edited:
Hi men ,

I use the Guru lead clips system . Really neat , good swivels , perfect for the way we fish . One thing I have been doing for a while is tying a small mono loop on the lead replacing the swivel , this pulls out much easier , or snaps when snagged . Funny , this happened yesterday in a snag , not on a fish , where I lost the lead on a strait pull ! , im also sure a bloody crayfish pulled the lot into it :mad: .

Hatter

I agree that losing the lead/feeder on the take is both pointless and dare I say irresponsible idea dreamt up by the very company's who make leads. But I agree with Jon that on rocky/snaggy swims having no means of losing a snagged lead/feeder is equally irresponsible. By using the Gardner links/enterprise snag safe rings or even an old fashioned paper clip, that doesn't 'give' until 5/6lb pressure I have landed fish that otherwise may still be tethered.

In my opinion we should all be on them, whats the point in losing a full rig when only the lead/feeder is caught. Imagine all the times you have lost a full rig including the bait and hook and some poor fish has picked it up and has to deal with a death sentence hanging off its bottom lip.
TBH i have been on them for 4 years or more, they were made by Fishtek called luresavers, they are an essential item incorporated in my rig, many a time i have been snagged up by either a fish or just a rock etc and a quick upward pull has broke the luresaver and i have retrieved my full rig minus the lead.

get on them lads if you have a conscience....no I dont work for Gardner.

great post jon

mark I to have used the guru clips and the same happened to me a good thing in my opinion!

Last edited:
I tie lead/feeders on with a rotten bottom (usually 1 or 2 cm of 7lb line with some granny knots). Almost free and just as effective.

John you mentioned those fishtec clips before have used them up what I bought but could not remember the name.was talking to john about lead snagging this afternoon mentioned the guru clips .
on the ribble there is a lot of bed rock and some large boulders on some section we fish .
nothing wrong with a good debate a lost lead is better then a damaged or dead barbel .
gaz

I'm not one for deliberately dropping leads and putting more money in the 'tackle guru's' pockets, it's funny how we've managed for hundreds of years without this recent fad.

It's also funny how I've never been snagged due to a lead whilst playing a fish in 25 years of angling. Bit of myth, why throw £1.50 away every time you hook a fish? I'm so tight it'd never happen.

Lee, imagine a boulder strewn river bank at up to 60 degrees off the horizontal up 17 foot deep or more off your rod end...............
Then you can see why these small gadgets come in handy now and again. If they save one baited hook being left discarded in the river, then to me they are worth £2.99 for 24 of them. A pittance for some element of safety/ responsibility.

It's also funny how I've never been snagged due to a lead whilst playing a fish in 25 years of angling. Bit of myth, why throw £1.50 away every time you hook a fish? I'm so tight it'd never happen.

come and fish the ribble:D

I don't recommend dumping your lead on every fish but would like to drop the lead when it gets trapped in the rocks!
did you read jon's post?

Attach yor lead / feeder with an American snap link clip/ swivel . Although I guees there not supposed to , when snagged up they open up easily thus ditching your lead /feeder .Very cheap to buy .

I fish the Ribble and Trent , and use 15 lb main line, 8lb feeder link, 10 lb flouro hooklength, rigged in such a way that if the feeder/lead snags, the link snaps before the mainline, if the fish gets itself behind a rock, the hooklength snaps leaving the feeder, so even if it ends up with a hook in its mouth it aint going to get tethered or end up dragging a feeder or lead around.
Simple to tie, costs minimal, no extra bits to get hooked up. I am with Adrian on this one, I aren't in the league of buying gadgets that in my eyes serve no useful purpose .
The above rig has landed quite a few doubles from both the Ribble and Trent,I have however left a few feeders in both rivers at one time or another, but cant remember the last time I lost a fish to a snag.

Dave

I have my own method of making my rigs safe and it doesn't need to involve the latest gimmick. As someone that has fished the Severn, Teme and to a lesser extent the Wye then I am well versed on the potential pitfalls of snags.

I doesn't matter how you go about it, everyone should try to ensure the lead is all that's left in a snag if possible.

Nick C

I doesn't matter how you go about it, everyone should try to ensure the lead is all that's left in a snag if possible.

Nick C

Absolutely Nick. Whether it be a neat plastic clip that costs a few pence and is fitted in seconds, which guarantees that if the lead snags it will be released under strong pressure before the main line snaps....and makes slipping the lead off when you pack up simplicity itself, without the need to break down...is entirely up to the individual. I am sure there are other ways to achieve this, though I doubt there are any cheaper....or easier....or safer, come to that. Whatever.....

Cheers, Dave.

Back