• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gardner Trickster

Richard Parsons

Hi chaps,

Just wondering if anyone uses the above-mentioned hooklink material, and if so, what you thought of it. My own experience is a couple of lost fish and, as a consequence, lost faith. I use braid as a mainline and hooklink, so that may have some bearing, however I don't have the problem with Kryston or Sufix. The Gardner has been consigned to the bin.

Interested in your thoughts......

Hi Richard, I regularly use the Trickster Heavy (15lb) and have never had a problem with it. Very soft/supple and sinks well.

Nothing wrong with the Trickster Heavy hooklink material used it for ages with no problems....How did you come to lose the fish? Did the hooklink break or something?

Hi - yes, at the hook or just above it (though it's tricky - no pun intended - to determine exactly where). And when I become snagged on a below-water branch the other day, it broke a little too easily for my liking.

Thanks for the feedback, though gents - glad to hear it's not a general problem. Perhaps something else came into play.

I am using 15lb on my combi links at the moment(2-3 inch)and have not had any problems so far. But I have noticed after a few fish the fibres can start to come apart or if I have caught on a snag. I now tie a new braid link on if I notice any damage. Have you tried using a hook such as the korda choddy with an out-turned eye so there is no pressure on the braid at that point? This may solve your problem, as I have noticed with the knotless knot the line is under pressure at that point and its the reason why I began tying separate braid hairs and a palomar knot to the hook if using mono/flouro. Because braid doesn't stretch it is less of an issue with a weak spot over the eye but if it rubbed against the seam it would cause damage.

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave - no, I haven't, but thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go with the other braid, even though I've not had any breakages thus far.

I should add that I've also been looking at new hooks recently as, using braid all through put's a hell of a lot of pressure on the hook. Korda wide gape and Pallatrax versions have both straightened this season.

Hi Dave - no, I haven't, but thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go with the other braid, even though I've not had any breakages thus far.

I should add that I've also been looking at new hooks recently as, using braid all through put's a hell of a lot of pressure on the hook. Korda wide gape and Pallatrax versions have both straightened this season.

:eek: I would be tempted to use mono as main line to avoid too much pressure on the hook and link. Or find an even thicker hook!

Dave

Hi Rich. How's things? I'm still using Trickster Heavy nearly 3 years after reviewing it for BFW and as yet not lost a fish due to it breaking. Perhaps you've just hit a run of bad luck? Not walked under any ladders recently?! :)
With regards to hooks straightening - are you using standard Korda Wide Gapes? If so just step up to the Wide Gape X which is a heavier version of the same pattern. To be honest I'm not a regular user of either Korda or Pallatrax hooks - could it be the eye causing the damage as Dave suggested? If your looking for a strong, short shank, wide gape, in-turned point hook I'm a big fan of Gardner's Covert Wide Gape Talon Tip and I've been trying some of the ACE hooks recently with good results. These have a closed eye designed so they don't cause damage to knotless knots. Not in the same league as the old seamless hooks from Korum but better than most.

Hello Richard, ive been using the pallatrax hooks since they came out, ive never had one straighten on me, i fished the river Wye on wednesday gone, as a guest of Martin James MBE, and i was very happy to learn that Martin also uses Pallatrax hooks. I,m not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but when tying a knotless knot, make sure your first turn is on the seamless side of the hook, and not the open side.

Derek - no problem re; sucking eggs, however I caught onto that one quite a few years ago. What can I say about Pallatrax, other than (in the Readers' Digest lingo) 'it happened to me'. :)

Andrew - All good thans, as I hope things are with you? Yes, very probably just a run of bad luck. Thanks for the hook suggestions - I clearly need a change.

Dave - I prefer braid so will find a better hook.

Back