• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gardner Hydro-tuff monofilament line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reviews

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gardner Hydro-tuff monofilament line.

reviews-albums-review-photos-picture3360-hydrotuff-green-spool2.jpg

One of the down sides to being a reviewer is that I sometimes have to stop using tackle and bait that I have full confidence in, to try something from a different manufacturer.
This takes a big leap of faith, but I'm not prepared to review items without actually using them out on the river bank.

If it's a rod or a reel, then generally you get an instant 'feel' for the product, and after a few sessions you have a fair idea as to how its going to perform, but terminal tackle and bait is a little different, and takes a bit more time to get that a feel for an item.

Line is a difficult one, as its one of the most important factors that goes into putting a fish on the bank.

I was due to change my line a couple of months ago, so I loaded my Barbel reels with some Gardner Hydro-tuff monofilament line that I had been sent.
Normally I'd spool up with 12lb bs mainline and 10lb hooklength, for the majority of my Barbel fishing, but the Hydro-tuff I'd been sent was 10lb bs in Low Viz Green.

I spoke to Gardner and they said that I could change the line to my normal 12lb bs, but they suggested that I try the 10lb line, as they felt that the 0.30mm diameter line was perfectly adequate, and equivalent to many 12lb monos.

Now I've heard it said a number of times, that most line is made by just two or three manufacturers, and its simply re packaged for sale by different tackle dealers.
Whether that's true or not, I do not know, but having confidence in a particular product or manufacturer is probably the key factor.

As I loaded the Hydro-tuff onto my reel and straight away noticed that it went on nicely, with a good lay and it had a lovely smooth finish to it.

Once loaded, I needed to test it's knot strength.

I use two knots from most of my Barbel fishing, they are the tucked blood knot and the Palomar knot.
Both tied beautifully, and after moistening, pulled up without any curling of the line.
I pulled a number of rigs to destruction, with the line tied to both hook and swivels, and not once did I feel the line or knot under preformed.

To be honest, I feel these tests are a little pointless, so all that was left to do was to get out and catch some fish with it.

I'm pleased to say the Gardner Hydro-tuff has preformed brilliantly in fishing on both low clear daytime sessions and more recently the much more demanding flooded conditions we've experienced.

I'd normally expect to have to remove a good few foot of line after each session, due to small nicks and scuff down towards the end rig, where the mainline comes in contact with the river bed and snags, but even after around a dozen sessions, I've only had to remove a small length of line once.
That fact its self is testament enough for me.

As you can see below, Hydro-tuff comes in two colours, Low Viz Green and Brown, and breaking strains ranging from 10lb (0.30mm) to 20lb (0.40mm).

10lb (4.5kg) 0.30mm 1400m Low Viz Green XTUF10G
12lb (5.4kg) 0.35mm 1030m Low Viz Green XTUF12G
15lb (6.8kg) 0.38mm 870m Low Viz Green XTUF15G
20lb (9.1kg) 0.40mm 790m Low Viz Green XTUF15G
10lb (4.5kg) 0.30mm 1400m Brown XTUF10B
12lb (5.4kg) 0.35mm 1030m Brown XTUF12B
15lb (6.8kg) 0.38mm 870m Brown XTUF15B

Retailing at £16.99 for 1400m of 10lb bs, 1030m 12lb bs & 870m 15lb bs, its good value and well worth a look.

reviews-albums-review-photos-picture3361-hydrotuff-green-spool.jpg

BFW rating:

Value 9/10
Performance 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back