• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garden Ponds

Dave Johnson

Is there a proven method of keeping Herons away from a garden pond. I don't want to fence it off or resort to extreme measures.
Dave

Dave

I used to put a net over my pond/rockery and to be honest it looked naff. I tried the stretched wire but when the pond is in a rockery it doesn't work as it's all uneven.

When I completely rebuilt the bottom end of my garden I went for a man-made look rather than a natural, just for a change. Over the top I built a "pergola", more for climbing plants than anything else, but it seems to have deterred the herons which was an added bonus. I have not had any netting for 3 years now, and no problem ............. but if I look out of the window in a minute I expect a fat heron stuffing himself on my biggest koi :D

Pic below - click to enlarge (taken 3 yrs ago, before all climbers grew)

paul4

A Heron flies over my pond every morning but won't dare to land near it! It tried it once when i first built it a few years ago but i think the shock of being attacked before it had even landed has put it off since!

Dave - what you need is a surface to air defence system :D - mine looks like this:

picture.php

For some reason my little feline friend can't stand things that fly - he spends all day guarding 'his' fish from potential threats - including other cats! :cool: Being a tabby he blends in rather well so the heron probably didn't see him coming! I've had him since very young ( 12 weeks ) and he's grown up watching fish in my tanks which is why i think he's so protective of the ones in my pond.

Back