• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Future hemp supplies

Steve Reed

Picked up a sack of hemp from Hinders today and was told that I might need to make it last. Apparently the Chinese aren't growing it for export any more and they expect supply to drop and prices to rise. :eek:

Steve

I remember the same fears about ten or more years ago, it never came to anything then and I cant see it happening now. Hemp is fashionable at the moment with the health food market, why would the growers stop producing while there is a growing market?

the issue is the weather over there, there struggling to grow it.
i was talking to a VDE rep in my local shop last week.

dynamite baits have stopped selling bags of hemp as they need what they have to use in their own mixes, and sonu baits have had to stop making hemp and hali crush as they too are running out!

people used to grow lots of hemp in this Country. They had to because we're an island and sailing ships use lots of rope.

There are (apparently) farmers growing hemp in the UK, though I think they are doing so under some sort of licensing arrangement. It's not the high tetrahydrocannabinol stains though so no one is getting high from it.

I work on 11kv power line so I see a lot of countryside an iv found a few fields full of what I thought were cannabis plants but have sinse learnt it was hemp fields so it's defiantly grown in this country as well!

I've found fields of it as well local to me, what a nice smell to.
it's pointless people trying to steal it to smoke, it has about as much THC as a cup of tea!

There was a documentary about UK hemp farmers on one of the obscure TV channels a few weeks ago - probably BBC1 or something like that! As Dave mentioned the THC content is next to zero but that doesn't stop people trying to smoke it - apparently hemp farmers on the M25 ring road were banned from growing it due to the number of people stopping on the hard shoulder to pick some flowers!!!!

Hemp seed shortage? Would have been a crisis to me a few years ago, and i rate it as one of the best barbel attractors going but haven't used it at all this season and my catch rate has not suffered. It's good stuff, but not essential.

There was a documentary about UK hemp farmers on one of the obscure TV channels a few weeks ago - probably BBC1 or something like that! As Dave mentioned the THC content is next to zero but that doesn't stop people trying to smoke it - apparently hemp farmers on the M25 ring road were banned from growing it due to the number of people stopping on the hard shoulder to pick some flowers!!!!

Hemp seed shortage? Would have been a crisis to me a few years ago, and i rate it as one of the best barbel attractors going but haven't used it at all this season and my catch rate has not suffered. It's good stuff, but not essential.

Must agree with you andy i really like using hemp and again not used it as much this season and its made no differnce.

Back