• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

FUTURE FISHING big update

Very sad. Never visited the shop but bought a couple Fox barbel x4s from them last year and the service was brilliant - competitive price, free delivery and extremely quick despatch.

Such a shame - always had good prices and came across as lovely people.

No doubt that will be an AD store before too long.

I don’t understand how it’s got to this, it was a well stocked shop that covered most aspects of fishing. I’ve bought a few things from them over the past couple of years and always been happy with their pricing and service.
Good luck to them and hopefully they will re-emerge in the future in a stronger position.

Didn’t know the chap and not sure if I’ve bought on line from them but it is sad to see a grown man reduced to tears because he lost his business he has built from scratch really mean that it’s horrible
we all know it most probably ad who will step in there but don’t forget they to was someone’s business they started from scratch and if they don’t step in that area might be without a tackle shop for people to go to
You also got to take into account he has done something wrong in how he as run his business if he has to financially close it down I hope he can reduce his premises size and carry on trading as future fishing and learn from what ever mistakes he made
One thing is for sure a lot of companies took out COVID loans some that didn’t deserve them or didn’t need them and now a lot are struggling to pay them back and is send a lot of businesses under we will all be paying for this mess for a very long time

I'm really sorry to learn this. It was a really good tackle shop and will be solely missed. I remember when he first set up in the unit round the corner, a great lad with a great work ethic. I have nothing against AD per se, but a monopoly isn't great for angling.

I don’t understand how it’s got to this, it was a well stocked shop that covered most aspects of fishing. I’ve bought a few things from them over the past couple of years and always been happy with their pricing and service.
Good luck to them and hopefully they will re-emerge in the future in a stronger position.
He told you in the Video it was the lockdown (covid) that never recovered from and of course huge part of his business was river anglers and since October the lack of people going fishing for 6 months must of had a big impact on takings too ? a real tragedy him him his family and the staff

That’s terrible news ,Tony ,jan and all staff were always very helpful , and would always give a good price .
Very sad indeed ! Hope they can recover and perhaps open another shop in Newark .

He told you in the Video it was the lockdown (covid) that never recovered from and of course huge part of his business was river anglers and since October the lack of people going fishing for 6 months must of had a big impact on takings too ? a real tragedy him him his family and the staff

Sounds like a certain large company have been onto the landlord too….lets see how long it takes before that building opens as another branch.

Like other contributors to this thread, it's a sad to learn the Future Angling are closing. It was a brilliant independent shop. AD are a national company, but they are not cheap IMO.

It was the constant flooding on the rivers that did for them they hardly saw an angler from 1 day to the next.

I won’t lie, I do buy the odd thing (mainly large items when comparing brands) from AD but they are crippling independent tackle shops as they can drive down pricing with their bulk purchasing.

Support your local Indy otherwise we will have nowhere to buy our bait from in years to come.

I spent a few years getting about half my bits from AD, it was just so convenient if wanting multiple, specific items to be able to get them in one place. In the last year or so though I made the decision to only use them as an absolute last resort.

I get a few bits from AD every now and again, but I have to say it's like being served by some AI automaton when in there.

Back