• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

FS Barbel seeker same rod but different?

Hello all,

So I have got myself two Free spirit barbel seekers both 11ft 1.75. The Rod at the top is much older (second hand) and the bottom one was brought new recently.

My questions:

-Do the rods have the same action to each other or are they slightly different?

-How many times have Free spirit updated this model?

Apart from the writing I have also noticed the top rod has 3 legs on the eyes on the top half of the rod compared to the newer one that only has two on the top section. I didn’t realised there were different versions of this rod and wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

IMG_9395.jpeg

IMG_9394.jpeg

The top rod is marked ’SU’ presumably meaning ‘stepped up’, which could well explain the beefier rings. It’s also possible the blank could be a different action as well.
I’d try hanging a 3 or 4 ounce lead off them side by side to compare the action.

James,
The last 11ft Seeker I handled when my mate was buying had single leg guides on the tip section, the earlier (originals) had twin leg guides thru’ the rod. This will make the rod feel differently I’m sure. Is there such a difference or perhaps fewer guides on one of your two rods ?

Judging by the images it looks like the S.U version is of a thinner walled thickness.
I'm always wary of 'new versions' of a decent rod. As companies strive to cut costs, which usually means quality suffers.

I've got two f.s. Tamers which were purchased second hand a few years apart. The blank looks really different, though the ringing is the same. The newer rod appears to be more tippy in its action, but that might be age and use related. I prefer the less blingy look of the older rod, so tend to reach for that first, if only taking one rod.

One saying SU is red herring. They were all the same, just they started branding them SU. It's an odd behavior that FS have done over the years.
I had one of the 11ft models years ago, sold it to a chap in Godalming. Found it wouldn't control small fish that went nuts.
Also have two of the 12ft models in the loft that i cant bring myself to sell. Great rods.

One saying SU is red herring. They were all the same, just they started branding them SU. It's an odd behavior that FS have done over the years.
I had one of the 11ft models years ago, sold it to a chap in Godalming. Found it wouldn't control small fish that went nuts.
Also have two of the 12ft models in the loft that i cant bring myself to sell. Great rods.
Interesting thanks for the insight Jon

Back