• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Front Drag reels for barbel fishing with no baitrunner......

Adam Francis

Fishing the Thames last night with 6oz leads and with weed on the line when reeling in, it occurred to me that my 3500 Daiwa Baitrunners may not be quite the right tools for the job!

Looking online today I can see that Okuma do some reasonable Big Pit type Carp Reels with a front drag but no baitrunner. I was wondering if anyone else uses this set up & how they have fared? I used butt grips & the locking front rod rest types but having used baitrunners all my life I'm slightly concerned that a rather expensive 'Dark Carbon' could be swallowed up by Old Father Thames when I'm not paying attention but a barbel is!

I'm trying to get my head around slackening off the clutch enough to not lose a rod but also be tight enough to not tick over against the flow?

As always, help & suggestions most welcome!

Thanks in advance.......

Front drag reels are easy to fine tune against the current, if you get a "tick over" as you put it, you can either slacken off the drag a touch more or let a bow of line out a bit at a time until it stops.

You have to do the same with the bait runner function anyway!

If you're not casting miles an SS2600 with quick drag conversion could do the job - I find without the conversion there is waay too much play in the drag but you may think different.

If moneys no option would def go with the Daiwa Whisker 25QD - would prob balance with, and look great on your Dark Carbons!

I don't normally like baitrunners but consider the Emblem BR25A or the sexier Castizm BR25 (which is the mag sealed / comes with a free spare spool variant) Use the BR25As for all my barbel fishing now and casting heavy feeders is easy / the cranking power is superb. Its front drag so you don't 'have' to set the baitrunner but its there as an option. . .weirdly or not I have mine 'set' relatively close to each other anyway . . .dont like going from silly free spool to a stiff drag as it can bump fish off . . .

Okuma Aventa baitfeeders are amazing for the money.

Quick drag at the front so the baitrunner can be an option or not, according to taste.

I've got a pair in 6000 size that have accounted for numerous Barbel and i'm well chuffed with them.

They punch about 2.5x above their price point and look good too :)

Untitled.jpg

I just can't get on with a front drag. It doesn't feel right to me to be turning something on the front of a spool whilst playing a fish. I'd always been a back winder until I started fishing for Barbel, and only then did I start to use the clutch. Like @Chris Belcher, I set both my freespool and clutch pretty much the same and go from there. Old habits I suppose.

I can't stand baitrunners, I guess the only reason for that is I like to feel connected to the fish through my left hand on the front of the reel and my right index finger slowing the spool simultaneously.

I use ss2600 and 1600s exclusively. A lot of people say they 'wobble', I have 4 and I have not felt any kind of wobble at all. The quick drag is super sensitive and you can easily set it to 'run' off.

Fishing the Thames last night with 6oz leads and with weed on the line when reeling in, it occurred to me that my 3500 Daiwa Baitrunners may not be quite the right tools for the job!

Looking online today I can see that Okuma do some reasonable Big Pit type Carp Reels with a front drag but no baitrunner. I was wondering if anyone else uses this set up & how they have fared? I used butt grips & the locking front rod rest types but having used baitrunners all my life I'm slightly concerned that a rather expensive 'Dark Carbon' could be swallowed up by Old Father Thames when I'm not paying attention but a barbel is!

I'm trying to get my head around slackening off the clutch enough to not lose a rod but also be tight enough to not tick over against the flow?

As always, help & suggestions most welcome!

Thanks in advance.......
Adam if you are thinking of coming away from a baitrunner because you’ve seen something that looks decent but doesn’t have it, my advice is don’t do it!
If you are using baitrunners now you will likely hate the idea of a quick clutch. They are not as convenient when it comes to doing something simple like letting a mtr of line out to lower your rig to yourself. They do not react like a baitrunner when you grab the reel handle and it instantly snaps off and (very very unlikely on the Thames) but if you are fishing two rods locked up like I do when you hook a fish on one you can snap the baitrunner on the other in a second leaving you in peace of mind that a double take won’t cost you a rod.

Quick drags are great for people that don’t use baitrunners but awful to go from a baitrunner onto. I always fish with my baitrunners off and locked up hard because I’m always fishing hard up to snags and features. However I love baitrunners for every other convenience they offer.
Get yourself a pair of shimano 6000D’s there’s a pair for sale on here. They’ll do everything you could ever need on the Thames in any flood water conditions

The OKUMA LS 6K or 8K are cracking reels for the price
Similar to Shimano Medium longcast ,but much better value .
Shimano 6000/8000oc
Also good choice
Having used the LS 6000 ,I find them perfect on the Trent.

Last edited:
I agree with what Richard said, but dont tell him that... Baitrunners are useful to have - doesn't mean you need to use them every time...

Shimano 4000 & 6000 D reels or thunus if you have cash to splash. If you're only fishing Thames/Trent sized rivers, maybe the medium baitrunner from Shimano.

I don't get why some people have such a dislike of baitrunner/freespool reels?

For me it is a really useful feature to have. I generally like to have a reasonably tight clutch, so it's handy to be able to flick on the baitrunner when I turn away from the rods to attend to a call of nature or make a brew. The last thing anyone wants is a rod dragged in.

I wonder if the dislike of baitrunners is maybe much do to with the snatchy 'will it, won't-it' drags on some of the rear drag models?

I don't get why some people have such a dislike of baitrunner/freespool reels?

For me it is a really useful feature to have. I generally like to have a reasonably tight clutch, so it's handy to be able to flick on the baitrunner when I turn away from the rods to attend to a call of nature or make a brew. The last thing anyone wants is a rod dragged in.

I wonder if the dislike of baitrunners is maybe much do to with the snatchy 'will it, won't-it' drags on some of the rear drag models?
For a lot of people it’s a carpy thing
Non bait runner reels look a little bit neater and more compact. I get that aswell I absolutely loved my ss850’s for barbel fishing they were just gorgeous looking reels but I did miss my bait runners. The nail in the coffin was how close I came to a double take nearly costing me a fortune.
After that reels sold and a pair of runners back on. They don’t look as good imo but I feel better having that facility

Hi Adam,
Try having a look at the Preston Centris NT range of reels, Titanium parts, front drag and a spool that can be taken off with a push button instead of having to unscrew the top, they are not cheap but are a very good reel with an excellent service department.
NT 320........NT420.......NT520.
Comes with a single and double handle and spare spool.

For a lot of people it’s a carpy thing
Non bait runner reels look a little bit neater and more compact. I get that aswell I absolutely loved my ss850’s for barbel fishing they were just gorgeous looking reels but I did miss my bait runners. The nail in the coffin was how close I came to a double take nearly costing me a fortune.
After that reels sold and a pair of runners back on. They don’t look as good imo but I feel better having that facility
It's nothing to do with carpy for me.

The only way I can articulate it is that I prefer to be totally tuned into the situation. I am never far from my rods, my local river is medium and snaggy and I definitely don't want a double fig barbel to run off.

Whether I fish locked up or slack on the drag it doesn't matter, if it's locked and the fish pulls hard then I can quickly let the reel backwind, if the drag is light then I can put my finger on the spool and totally control the spin of it.

If I wanted something close to a baitrunner, then i'll use a centrepin! For me to much engineering takes some of the fun away from it ;)

I guess it's situational.

It's nothing to do with carpy for me.

The only way I can articulate it is that I prefer to be totally tuned into the situation. I am never far from my rods, my local river is medium and snaggy and I definitely don't want a double fig barbel to run off.

Whether I fish locked up or slack on the drag it doesn't matter, if it's locked and the fish pulls hard then I can quickly let the reel backwind, if the drag is light then I can put my finger on the spool and totally control the spin of it.

If I wanted something close to a baitrunner, then i'll use a centrepin! For me to much engineering takes some of the fun away from it ;)

I guess it's situational.
I don’t follow the logic there if I’m honest as a baitrunner has zero detrimental effect on the reel. If you turn it off it’s like it’s not there
There’s no integration between the baitrunner and the reels standard function either ie if the baitrunner fails it won’t stop the reels ability to work as a normal reel.

The only possible negative a baitrunner can have on a reel is the added extra length for a cm or two and the added extra weight of a switch, dial and internal engagement which is approximately 12-15g roughly in total.

I can understand peoples disliking them if they are stuck with using them but it’s a bit like cruise control on a car. Use it or turn it off and forget about it.

IWhether I fish locked up or slack on the drag it doesn't matter, if it's locked and the fish pulls hard then I can quickly let the reel backwind, if the drag is light then I can put my finger on the spool and totally control the spin of it.
You can do all of that with a reel that also has the option of a freespool, so I don't follow your argument?

I once saw a youngster using a baitrunner to play the fish on, he'd flick the switch at the rear and let the fish roar off, and then applied a bit of finger pressure before disengaging the freespool and winding it in for a while, believer that the fish would be warn out, he repeated this a few times during the fight. I wouldn't have minded, but he netted a 29lb mirror.

I like 'em, and 4000d's are more than adequate for my fishing and very neat,imo.
I seldom fish 2 rods, but when I do I think they're essential, and very convenient if you need a Pee, unless, of course, you are happy to wind in or just stand up and slash in the peg!

It’s a personal thing I have both but prefer the QD,s over a baitrunner I find pulling line off the spool with the baitrunner gives line twist
If I need a pee or need to take my eyes of the rods I just turn the spool cap 1/4 turn no different to flicking on a baitrunner i Also find rear drug clutches a bit jerky … it’s what you are used to I suppose

You can do all of that with a reel that also has the option of a freespool, so I don't follow your argument?
My argument is simple. I don't like to use a bait runner switch and then goes on to the reasons why... e.g. I prefer to be tuned into the bite and not let a fish take my hooklink 40 yards downstream while I mosey on down to my rod. Excuse the brevity but not sure how else I can say it.

If I don't used cruise control why would I pay for the added option.

This is simply a difference of process, not sure if you chaps invented the baitrunner mechanic but no offence was intended.

Back