• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Free spirit rod price increase, again

I have friends who work in the building trade and everything from raw materials to fixtures and fitting is increasing in price significantly. Big slow down in manufacturing during the first waves of global lockdowns, roll forward to today and the stuff can’t be produced quickly enough.

It has nothing do with brexit and politics, it’s the simple mechanics of global demand and supply, during a worldwide pandemic 👍🏻

My Q5 going 2nd hand for the same price I paid new 12 months ago.

The same one now would be 6k more.
There’s a huge delay on vehicles, a lot of it reportedly is chips from China not available. The courier market has exploded with lock downs and that’s really affected the cost and availability of vans well, reportedly there was a 6-12 month wait for a new Transit from Ford.

I heard of a chap who sold his Porsche back to the dealer on taking it for a service, same dealer brought it off him for more than he paid for it. Simply because it’s live stock. This could be bollox of corse.

We traded the BM in during vivid for a Volvo that was more family friendly and got a massive discount. I bet I’ve not lost money in that, for now.

We bought our 19 plate bells and whistles Volvo xc60 in April Last year, as above, took it in for Service to the dealer in November and they offered to buy it back for £5 thou more than we paid them for it .

Ok its a good , very good profit, but it would still leave us wanting the same model car and having to pay over the odds or changing marque and still paying over the odds which we do not want to do .

So yes the tales of buy back at profit , at least in our experience is true.

David

Just a thought re tackle prices. Ultimately we've been spoilt for many years with inexpensive tackle. 20+ years ago I bought a Diawa Tom Pickering, 13ft Match rod, second hand, for £90. Just an example
Relatively, we are paying no more for our kit than what we were 25 years ago.

all good second hand cars selling for a massive premium, one year olds fetching more than new price, madness.
Tell me about it. My car died the week before Christmas so Iv got to get a new one and unless it’s got loads of miles on it it’s crazy money

Yet, there are many disused airfields crammed with unwanted and nearly new lease cars which have been sitting there for a couple of years. Fly a drone over Upper Heyford and you will see mine there.

A guy I know bought an x demo new Defender a few months back for 50k. It broke down after a couple of weeks so he took it back and demanded a refund.

Eventually the dealer paid him back and is now advertising the same vehicle for 70 k……

Back