• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fracking Concern

Another worrying development that will have everyone in uproar eventually Martin. On the one hand, I look at my gas bills and think 'get in and do it'...then I read of the possible devastating consequences, and it freaks me out.

Another situation where we (and by the sounds of it, even those involved) are woefully ill informed. Again, we are left with no option but to trust the proverbial 'THEM'...which in light of our various governments lamentable track record for as long back as you care to look...is worrying indeed.

Cheers, Dave.

it wont make a jot of difference to anyones gas bills.....it's Cameron and his cronies with £££££ signs in their eyes.

They dont care about anything else. Or anyone else for that matter.

it wont make a jot of difference to anyones gas bills.....it's Cameron and his cronies with £££££ signs in their eyes.

They dont care about anything else. Or anyone else for that matter.

To true.

Dave, the only good thing might be that if they do frack in our area, it may cause the HS2 flyovers and bridges to collapse, if that ever gets started :D

Cheers, Dave.
Not so good as the taxpayer would pay to repair any damage fracking might do, don't expect the rich foreign company's to pay for their mistakes...Rant over!

The energy companies and government have already admitted that fracking will not lead to lower bills! then why do it? to line their own pockets thats why!

What fracking offers is security of gas supply and hopefully maintain bills at their current high levels. Without we can expect bills to double in the next ten years.
Extracting hydrocarbons in the UK is nothing new, check out Wytch Farm in Hampshire or the East Midlands oilfield. Gas has also been extracted off the N. York Moors, Wykeham Gas field and in Lancashire.
There are obvious concerns over well integrity but as long as this is correctly regulated it should not present a problem. There is the concern of the amount of water required but the EA rigorously enforce Consent to Discharge any industrial generated waste which I can speak from my experience with the oil industry.

What fracking offers is security of gas supply and hopefully maintain bills at their current high levels. Without we can expect bills to double in the next ten years.
Clearly the French have got it wrong as they have banned it, what a irony it is that a French company will be coming here to do what they are not allowed to do in the their own country..Lol.:confused:

Clearly the French have got it wrong as they have banned it, what a irony it is that a French company will be coming here to do what they are not allowed to do in the their own country..Lol.:confused:

And also building nuclear power stations which is their main source of electricity. :eek:

And also building nuclear power stations which is their main source of electricity. :eek:

French nuclear power is a significant source of electricity in the the UK. (+/- 5%)

Personally I'd rather see an expansion in the UK's nuclear power sector than wide scale fracking. The lesser of two evils IMHO.

It seems to me that as usual, any benefits to be derived from all these choices and 'alternatives' going the rounds as the latest means of producing our power, or providing our other utilities, be that gas, electricity or water....will not come the way of us, the punters. Whatever happens, we mere mortals will, as ever, pay through the nose to enable the 'experts' :)rolleyes:) to research and develop the latest grand scheme. The money bled from us during this process will once again be going to make the rich very much richer...that now seems to be the one constant in our lives. Sadly, many of those benefiting from our loss will be foreign investors and shareholders. Again, as usual.

We were told that coal/gas fired power stations were not 'green', too damaging to the environment....so we accepted the nuclear powered alternatives offered. Once countless billions had been spent on that, and many millionaires later....we are told that they are suddenly an unacceptable way of producing energy too. We are then fed all sorts of guff about new 'miracle' ways of producing energy, which invariably turn out to be pure fiction...but which cost us and/or the environment dearly before they are exposed for what they are....think wind farms, solar panels, turbines in rivers etc. etc. And now fracking.

We are fed disinformation constantly, so are never really in a position to chose for ourselves...at least not a choice made based on actual truths and facts. I would go with Nigel on this one, and choose improved nuclear plants as the only APPARENTLY viable options...but not with any real conviction :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

I agree Nigel, nuclear has to be the way forward. To think we lead the world in nuclear energy know how at one time and now we 'd have to turn to the French if we wanted to go down that route.

Nick C

Back