• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox international...selling direct?

Justin Cubberley

I've just been on the fox website and was somewhat surprised to see that their items now have 'but it now' prices. I only had a quick brouse and selected a item to purchase and by all accounts it went into my basket then to checkout like any other online retailer. I didn't however complete a purchase as I was only corious to this recent addition.
I just found it supprising that they have in effect ditched the high Street retailer.

I had no difficulty buying a net mesh from them recently. They were totally unable to tell me the measurements though because "in Holland"
In the event they sent me a complete net and frame which was totally useless to me and is worth far more than the mesh.
Anyone want to buy a new speed flow comp net?

Pretty sure I read somewhere you can buy direct and select a local tackle shop who will then get usual profit %....a way of supporting the individual shops during lockdown. Which, if I’m correct, I think is a really positive thing

I've just about given up buying Fox products. I find the quality is at times dubious. Over the years they've produced some good products, to be let down by subsequent batches, presumably then made in China.

As Alan said during lockdown you could buy direct from Fox and nominate your local tackle shop to get some sort of reward from them . I am not sure how much it was but my local shop put it on their Facebook page

I ordered a couple of bits last week, delivered quickly and well packaged.

In essence they are supporting local retailers (mine being closed still) by passing on a contribution to them during these times.

I don't have alot of Fox stuff, but fair play to them.

Fox have areas of strength and areas of weakness but they had a go at literally everything rather than sticking with what they are good at.
I don’t think they make a good reel, the rods seem average and certainly not what they were 20-30 year ago.
I think the brolleys and shelters are excellent. Every bit as good as they’ve always been.
luggage....well you’ve got options.
the cheaper royal type range which is NGT standard with fox tax or the voyager/camolite stuff which I think is probably some of the highest quality luggage out there Personally but with lots of fox tax.
Some of it is still great stuff but they ain’t a rod n reel company any more even though they sell more than they ever did.

The Supa Brolly series wasn't the best. Lots of issues with them leaking. I had three fail on me. Mk1 and 2.
Binned them in the end and jumped across to Trakker.

Fox have areas of strength and areas of weakness but they had a go at literally everything rather than sticking with what they are good at.
I don’t think they make a good reel, the rods seem average and certainly not what they were 20-30 year ago.
I think the brolleys and shelters are excellent. Every bit as good as they’ve always been.
the cheaper royal type range which is NGT standard with fox tax or the voyager/camolite stuff which I think is probably some of the highest quality luggage out there Personally but with lots of fox tax.
Some of it is still great stuff but they ain’t a rod n reel company any more even though they sell more than they ever did.

Yes, abdolutely agree with this.

Had an old 50" oval that had some hammer for years and it was as good as any brolley i've had before or since, but moved away from most of their 'bigger' tackle items now.

Use their storm sticks, and have quite a few of them, not had an issue with any of them, and their angle adjusters are as good as any i have used over the years.

Sorry just cant agree with some of that mate?

there has been more complaints about the shocking leaky Fox Supa brollys than any other shelter absolute disaster the reputation took a big hit over those and Im a Fox tackle fan !
my Fox box still going strong and my Fox warrior rods a gave away were still like new and a joy to play fish on but Brollys a joke

Wrong species but what the heck( but again it’s 🦊)
I have a pair of Fox Predator 3.25t/c pike rods that I’ve had for over 20 years and I love them
They are a reddy brown Carbon weave with full cork handles
I got them from Fosters of Birmingham and I might be getting confused but something in my memory tells me Bob the Rod built them??
Pure curiosity as I struggle to find any info on them and I’m always looking for a 3rd one
I can’t fault them as deadbait rods and never been inclined to swap for a Lumby equivalent which says a lot
Anyone know anything about them?
Cheers

Wrong species but what the heck( but again it’s 🦊)
I have a pair of Fox Predator 3.25t/c pike rods that I’ve had for over 20 years and I love them
They are a reddy brown Carbon weave with full cork handles
I got them from Fosters of Birmingham and I might be getting confused but something in my memory tells me Bob the Rod built them??
Pure curiosity as I struggle to find any info on them and I’m always looking for a 3rd one
I can’t fault them as deadbait rods and never been inclined to swap for a Lumby equivalent which says a lot
Anyone know anything about them?
Cheers
I used to have one 12 foot 2.5lb fox predator years ago. Maroon chequered blank.
I heard alsorts of stories about them been Harrison blanks but never once actually saw any real confirmation or proof of that so........
Was a great rod until my best mate cast a dead bait with the bail arm still on straight through the middle of it. Can’t tell you much more about them really.

Oh dear
The 3.25 compresses beautifully chucking medium sized dead’s but Progressively bends through( like a chimera) even on moderate pike
For a 20 year old rod the blank is v slim even by today’s standards
I kept the heat shrink seal on the cork to protect against fish slime so the cork will be like new
Not that I would ever part with them
Back then I thought Fox were untouchable especially on pike gear
Then I bought one of the first Stratos reels...
It’s all been said

I had a mint set of Fox the matrix carp rods in a absolutely amazing green colour blank they were very nice rods very rare now days

kept the heat shrink seal on the cork to protect against fish slime so the cork will be like new
I don’t know how much truth is involved with it as cork knowledge isn’t my area of expertise but I was told not to do this over a long period of time as moisture can build up under it and damage the cork as it can’t dry out. Could be complete BS mind.
I must say though I buy cork handles because they feel great so leaving them covered for years would kinda defeat the object for me.

It make sense Richard
I think ther were my first cork handles, everything also was exaggerated duplon so I tried hard to keep them clean and not covered in lamprey and smelt innards as I think with that colour they are a pretty rod if such a thing exists
i might have to have an unveilingl later in the season
Do you mend rod handles 🤣🤣

I don’t know how much truth is involved with it as cork knowledge isn’t my area of expertise but I was told not to do this over a long period of time as moisture can build up under it and damage the cork as it can’t dry out. Could be complete BS mind.
I must say though I buy cork handles because they feel great so leaving them covered for years would kinda defeat the object for me.
Completely agree I think the joy in a cork handle is the way it feels and to leave it wrapped in plastic IMHO is madness and wonder why they bothered buying cork in the first place ? if they are scared to get it dirty lol

Back