• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox inn on river trent

Alex Chalmers-Wilkes

Hi All,

was driving over the road Bridge on the A617 at Newark,

there is Kelham hall country park. and I see that fishing is allowed along this stretch of river and was wandering if anyone has fished it. I was driving back from bakewell with the wife after a week on holiday. the river Trent at Kelham looked amazing and only being 130 miles from Lowestoft in Suffolk. not a million miles away for a weekends fishing stay in a B & B.

just wanted any info on the river and what fish are currently about.

never fished for Barbel before so looking at having a weekends fishing for them. if anyone know of anywhere closer that has Barbel running in it that would be great.

just another question can Barbel be caught all year round or is there only times of the year that they are most active.

Many thanks all

Tight lines.

Alex

Suffolk Stour , Wensum, Yare ? They all contain Barbel . As far as all year round Barbel fishing ,yes they can be caught in all seasons but as a generalisation catching would be harder as temperatures drop

On that stretch of the 'natural' river that flows around Newark there are few stretches where day tickets are available. Kelham Hall have a good number of pegs, Smeaton's Caravan park have 8 and there are others on the A1 fishery. The latter also have a stretch of the navigable river below the confluence where the natural river joins Newark Dyke. The vast majority of the river is controlled by the Nottingham Piscatorial Society and is strictly maintained as a members only fishery.

I hope that helps.

thank you all for your comments, john and bob will looking in to your feedback some more. Mike thank you as well. iv hear that the Wensum use to have some good barbell in but cant remember the last time one was caught. im sure the Waveney have them too but never heard of anyone ever catching one.

What dates are you coming up... I may be able to introduce you to a couple of Trent Barbel etc?

Hi Jon,

Not sure really what dates nothing is planned really I was just going to get some information on the barbel and look for some a suitable place to fish, find a b&b for the night. then go from there really. do you fish all year for them. where about in the uk are you located.

Back