• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox Duo lite handles ?

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
sorry for this basic question
but just bought these new rods and the cork handles have a plastic wrapped coating is this just for transportation ? and its meant to be removed ??
have owned lots of cork handled rods from the mk4 carp rods 50 years ago and never seen this before ?

Gerry, the plastic is usually removed so you can take advantage of the natural feel of the cork handle, which also gives you a far better grip. Some people leave it on if they are planning to sell it in the near future.

Yes you need to take it off else water gets under it then the cork stains. Great rods for the price I have a pair of the 11ft ones.

thanks guys
thought this was the case just wanted to be sure in the past when my cork carp rods have got dirty I just sanded them

sorry for this basic question
but just bought these new rods and the cork handles have a plastic wrapped coating is this just for transportation ? and its meant to be removed ??
have owned lots of cork handled rods from the mk4 carp rods 50 years ago and never seen this before ?

You are supposed to remove it, the touch and feel of cork is why cork is so much liked. But there are some that buy sofa's that keep the plastic covers on, so I see why you might want to ask.....:)

If water gets under the plastic mold could start to grow. I found this out to my detriment on a Drennan series 7 float rod. Although i got rid of the green mold the cork where this was still feels softer the the rest of the cork

Yes, remove it for the reasons already stated.
The more cynical among us would say that the wrap is there to hold the cork and filler together. :)

Back