• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox Barbel recovery tunnel

Some food for thought ? ( is about carp but read on)

around 35 years ago I went to a British carp study group conference and among the various lectures was one by a fish biologist and spoke about fish going belly up
(I cant remember the exact name)
but what he said basically when a fish is hooked and trys to escape a chemical similar to Adrenalin in humans is released the longer the fight the higher the stress the more this chemical is released
now if the fish is rested for a short period prior to release it allows the fish to calm down and this chemical to dissipate and it can swim away with little ill effects

if however its released to soon the fish can power away and go into shock and go belly up ! he said the older bigger heavier fish are most at risk of this happening
now fast forward 30 years and a French lake owner with some huge carp started getting a lot of the biggest fish going belly up he had a very strict policy of no fish retention
I told him about the above so he bought 50 fish retaining sacks with floats fitted for a trial
and now the rule now is all fish (carp) must be rested for a minimum of 20 mins the result being fish losses in the last 5 years have by dropped by 75%
interesting ???

All the education in the world won't stop the kn@bheads that frequent Collingham!

Some food for thought ? ( is about carp but read on)

around 35 years ago I went to a British carp study group conference and among the various lectures was one by a fish biologist and spoke about fish going belly up
(I cant remember the exact name)
but what he said basically when a fish is hooked and trys to escape a chemical similar to Adrenalin in humans is released the longer the fight the higher the stress the more this chemical is released
now if the fish is rested for a short period prior to release it allows the fish to calm down and this chemical to dissipate and it can swim away with little ill effects

if however its released to soon the fish can power away and go into shock and go belly up ! he said the older bigger heavier fish are most at risk of this happening
now fast forward 30 years and a French lake owner with some huge carp started getting a lot of the biggest fish going belly up he had a very strict policy of no fish retention
I told him about the above so he bought 50 fish retaining sacks with floats fitted for a trial
and now the rule now is all fish (carp) must be rested for a minimum of 20 mins the result being fish losses in the last 5 years have by dropped by 75%
interesting ???

Barbel are different though, Carp can withstand long periods out of the water, even being wrapped in wet towels for hours, they can survive almost stagnant pools, would be wrong imo to draw any comparisons.

Neil which family of fish do you think barbel belong to? you seem to think there salmonids but obviously they're not.

The Cyprinidae are the family of freshwater fishes, collectively called cyprinids, that includes the carps, the true minnows, and their relatives (for example, the barbs and barbels). Also commonly called the "carp family",

Neil which family of fish do you think barbel belong to? you seem to think there salmonids but obviously they're not.

The Cyprinidae are the family of freshwater fishes, collectively called cyprinids, that includes the carps, the true minnows, and their relatives (for example, the barbs and barbels). Also commonly called the "carp family",

I don't.

Barbel are different though, Carp can withstand long periods out of the water, even being wrapped in wet towels for hours, they can survive almost stagnant pools, would be wrong imo to draw any comparisons.

the point I thought was the stress induced adrenalin type thing and apparently all fish have it ?

Another old trick if simply resting the fish in the flow isn't working and it's going belly up is to push your finger down it's throat. This also causes it to "burp" out the air

they do something similar in seafishing in deep water where they poke something to perforate the bulging swim bladder:eek:, personally i wouldnt reccommend poking anything down its throat

More than likely a pike tube Gerry I've got one though never used it to recover a fish in, just small livebait when I used to go piking.
The barbel tube came out must be 20yrs ago put it this way Matt Hayes and total fishing was on and I was on the ribble and a lad living in Preston asked his mate to put it in ,I didn't like the idea of um but new head upstream, is mate is having a go at me and he was nearly in the tube, then I thought where is the lad who caught it I just thought he'd nipped to the car for scales because it was a double andcouldbeaPB, no he'd gone home to get changed for a photo, 12-12 it weighed but 13-01 in angling times ,yes those barbel tubes were a bad idea the fish had to face upstream to recover, I remember getting an old one for live baits aswel

i reckon its a pike tube they used to all have these and use them at adams mill for the big girls in there you could peg them out and leave them to recover

Back