• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fox Adjusta Level Chair — it's back!

Andy Millichamp

Fox has relaunched this classic river angler's chair and I've just bought one. So far I'm impressed. It's been considerably redeveloped over the previous version, but whether that's a good thing depends on the angler.

The biggest improvement in my opinion is that the angle of the front legs is much steeper, which should make it more usable on steep banks. My old one has too shallow an angle to work well on some banks (see photo below).

The new one is a padded chair rather than the old sprung style, and it has a slightly longer back with padded neck cushion, which suits me as I like to slouch when the action is slow! I never found the old one comfortable and it gave me back ache.

It comes with a shoulder strap and a couple of clips to hold the backrest in place when carrying - and also has proper bolts on the hinges. The old one had rivets and after some wear the hinges became loose and the backrest would flap around when carrying it.

There is a cost to these modifications — it's heavier! My old one is 3.4kg but the new one is 4.3kg. Personally I'm happy to put up with that as I think it's better but some might see it as too heavy for roving. The other problem is that I used to keep my unhooking mat slotted into the backrest, I can't do that with the new one.

I'll be giving it a work-out on the River Severn tonight so I'll see how it works in practise. If Steve doesn't mind, I'll then write a proper review as I think this will be of interest to any river angler.

The price is £49.95.

chair2.jpg

IMG_3501.JPG

I too had spotted these for sale again. Thanks for the summary, and yes, my old one gave me backache until the day I pushed back with all my might and gave the backrest a bit more lean, and it's fine now.
The increase in weight is a shame, but if it's more comfortable it'll be worth it.
And at 4.3kg it's still at the light end of the market.

That is bizzare Andy, I bought one today too, looks great, after my Nash Nomad finally gave up after many years of abuse and excessive loading....... I hope it is half as good.

Saw the New Fox Adjusta chair on the river bank today looks a good chair, It has a weight rating of 160kg = 25.2 Stone,

Regards Ray Thorpe

Looks good Andy - be interested to read your review after testing.

I do like chairs with four separate adjustable legs - more adaptable for varying contours on the bank.
I've had this for six plus years now and it's been excellent -
Wychwood superlight recliner carp Chair | eBay

At 4.9kg, somewhat heavier (and a bit more expensive) than the Fox one, but I've still found it fairly manageable for roving.
Also holds my weigh mat and landing net when tightly collapsed, which is nice!
Only problem is it's too bloody comfortable and I keep falling asleep ;)

I totally agree with Mark...he sure has had a lot of sleeping sessions in that chair...i usually hear him snoring in the next swim lol

Ive had the new fox chair for a few weeks now and its really good well worth every penny in my mind a real good buy.

Back