• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Foreign bodies

Stuart Prescott

I've been fishing since I was a kid , seen or heard about most of the accidents that can happen on the bank , but I Had a session cut short last night and ended up in the A & E dept with what is a new one to me

As I was moving to my final peg , I brushed past some over hanging trees disturbing the branches , various bits of leaves etc came down , but something landed in my ear and continued it's way down my ear canal

Not a very pleasant sensation hearing and feeling something moving about in there

Tried to get it out on the bank but couldn't , panic was starting to set in at this point as I was alone , so out came the forceps ! Still no joy and the critter was still alive

No option but to pack up , fight my way through traffic to get to my home town hospital , 2 hours since my little guest arrived , I arrive at casualty

Why didn't I go to a more local hospital ? I had my gear in the car and didn't want to leave it on display

The moral of this story ?

I assume most of us carry a small first aid kit , either in the tackle bag or car ?
Add a small bottle of olive oil to it !

The nurse who treated me said if anything like this happens again , tilt your head to the side and pour the oil in and leave it for 30 mins or so , it will drown the critter before any damage is done by it or the forceps you should never stick in your ear :)

Got a sore ear this morning and to make it worse , I blanked !

Last edited:
" Got a sore ear this morning and to make it worse , I blanked ! "

Doesn't sound like a blank to me.... just didn't catch what you were expecting.:)

That's a turn up for the books, it's usually you giving some fecker earache :D

Seriously though, glad its sorted. Must have been scarey.

I bet Danny Fairbrass is already designing NHS-endorsed tweezers for every angler out there! Never mind 'dump the lead', it's now 'beat the bug'. :)

Last edited:
Same thing happened to a friend when we were camping some years ago, he was asleep , in his tent, when an earwig crawled into his ear, his wife poured some cooking oil into his lug hole, and after about ten minutes the earwig could be seen trying to crawl out..... was removed using tweezers... when enough of it could be seen .I don't suppose the NHS would endorse cooking oil as an insect remover,but when you are x miles from an A&E, and its 3 in the morning, improvisation is king.

Dave

I suppose you could use a glug or bait dip, failing that you could stick your head in the river for a couple of minutes. :D

Bizzare - i always thought it was parafin you were supposed to stick in your ear to get bugs to crawl out...

Back