• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Footwear

Gareth Boycott

Hi Chaps,

Looking for a bit of advice/recommendations if possible.

I need to get a new pair of fishing boots/trainers. They don't need to be thermal as they are for summer/evening sessions (wear skeetex moonboots in winter). They must however be waterproof (walking back to the car through dew soaked fields at).

Karrimor seem to have loads of options but reading a few reviews their quality seems to be questionable.

Can anyone recommend boots/trainers that are hard-wearing,comfortable and waterproof?

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

I've had no problem with my Karrimor boots which I got from Sports Direct for £40 but I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend.

I have used Karrimor boots for a few seasons now. They were ok but the gortex lineing has now gone. So I too need to be looking for some boots.

Anyone use the Chub Field Boots?

Thanks chaps. Gary - I have used the chub fields boots but recently sold them. They are thinsulate lined so too warm for summer (and the pair I had were a bit too big so I got rid). I want something that keeps mositure out but doesn't leave your feet sweating on those warm summer days. Happy with Skeetex moonboots (wellies) in winter but they are far too warm in summer.

Karrimor Orkney boots in black leather I've used mine for over a season excellent fit very waterproof and not to bad in summer. I have no hesitation in recommending these excellent boots top class for the the money should be sub £50 which is excellent value.

I picked up some Karrimors at TK Maxx for a mere £19. They are light, comfortable and, so far, hardwearing. I've actually started using them for summer hiking instead of my fancy £120 swiss jobs as they seem to breath better. At that price I don't mind of they wear out as I can buy new ones!

My outer garments needs the goretex re-proofing occasionally, so you probably need to do the same with goretex boots

Hi All,in my experiance to get a decent pair of waterproof approach shoes/ankle boots you are going to have to pay abour £100 Scarpa are good and my current pair are Haglofs approach shoes which are brilliant.They are very comfortable and waterproof and the reason Im willing to pay so much for them is that they need to double up and dog walking shoes and as Ive a Springer Spaniel thats alot of bank walking espically during the close season.

Anyway you get what you pay for,try Cotswold Outdoors.

Dickie.

boots

I've got a pair of brashers gortex boots, totally bomb proof.been fishing through swamps to going up mount Snowdon, never let me down, buy cheap pay twice if you get Karrimor boots.They were once a decent make a few years back,but the company sold out to sports direct I believe, and that's when all the problems started, just look on any reviews about Karrimor, not good.

I've had my Berghaus Explorers for about 10 years. They are a bit battered now but still comfortable and waterproof.

Neil

If you buy cheap then you will be disappointed so the way to go is gortex and you can`t go wrong with brasher had a pair for over 10 years and still going strong.
Andy

Go Outdoors Meindl Pro 3 season walking boot Gortex lined £160 had them about 3 years now no probs with them like everyone says you buy cheap you buy twice they were recommended by a mate of mine who is in Mountain rescue he has them to.

If you are looking for a flexible boot then I would forget about a goretex lining. EVent, I have found, is much better inside a continually flexing boot.
I think the quality in my Meindl Burma Pros is hard to beat and being quite a stiffly-soled boot doesn't tend to flex a great deal. Mine have withstood three years of pretty torturous treatment both up in the Lakes and down on the river. The only downside that might be considered is that they're leather, so not perhaps great for summer.
I have a pair of Aku 3 seasons boots now too - they're lighter than the Meindls, but still fairly stiff.

Regards

Damian

I have replaced my Scarpa boots with some Diotto hunting boots.
After having North Face, Berghaus and the above Scarpa's the new boots are the best I have had.
Use them every day for walking the dog's and totally waterproof and comfortable.
Only downside is the price but well worth the expense!!!!!

Regards

Wazzy

Back