• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

foam nuggets

I use a part slice of bread . You can put the end tackle on top of the slice , lightly nick the hook in the crust and let the current take the bait and end gear downstream until it is in the desired location, a short sharp jerk on the rod tip dislodges the hook and then just hold the gear on a tight line , the bread floats away leaving your bait where you want it .
I am sure I read it in a Mr Crabtree book years ago , but it works .

I use this method to get baits either freelined or with minimum lead under overhanging bushes or branches .

It works fine until a boody big chub starts attacking the bread, which has happened a couple of times to me .

Maybe the dissolving foam would be better 😋

David

I remember going carp fishing with my mate in the middle of winter once and stuck a bit of dissolving foam on the hook when I cast out. Reeled in 2 hours later to recast and the bit of foam was still attached to my hook completely undissolved

I remember going carp fishing with my mate in the middle of winter once and stuck a bit of dissolving foam on the hook when I cast out. Reeled in 2 hours later to recast and the bit of foam was still attached to my hook completely undissolved

Sounds like that wasn’t dissolving foam…🙃

How's about a solid PVA bag?

Dissolving foam no lead float it down to desired spot till foam nugget melts then slide a lead down the line using a back lead clip 👍
That’s a cracking idea. Some years ago there was a swim I could of done with floating a bait down stream so there was no cast splash. This idea would of done the job.

That’s a cracking idea. Some years ago there was a swim I could of done with floating a bait down stream so there was no cast splash. This idea would of done the job.
Des Taylor showed a rig ,using a spent shotgun cartridge as a float ; it drifts down , then give a tug at required distance , cartridge fills with water and sinks . (I've never tried it )

Also good for getting under trees
I sandwich the hook between 2 nuggets just lick the side of one nugget squeeze the 2 together and they will stick together with the hook sandwiched in the middle
The method was shown to me at kings weir by christophe Pelhate ( man who invented the spopper)

Last edited:
Back