• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flurocarbon - Braid - Mono

Ian Wetton

I've had all my fish using mono and more recently flurocarbon hooklengths, with reasonable success and little issue.

However I would like to ask when you would favour different hooklengths and what the advantage / disadvantage is.

Lastly when using braid do you worry about the colour of the braid compared to the river bed ?

Thanks Albert, I was waiting for that response and you have a point !
.................. however, if a different approach in clear water, flood water ( for example ) gave me an edge and better chance of a bite then I'm all ears.

The bottom of the rivers I fish are a silty weed grey/green colour.................. are there any particular braids that you would use ?

Hi Ian,

I don't like fluro that much as it's very brittle and can go for no apparent reason. This may be the fact that after 40 years fishing, I still can't tie a proper knot!

Braid can be adventageous due to it's no strech properties for example, when rolling meat in the winter. The colour would not really be an issue if the water is coloured.
20lb whiplash pro is very good and i can recommend it highly BUT, braid has disadvantages such as its lack of abbrasion resistance. I wouldn't use it near snags or rocks in places such as the Wye or Ribble. another suggestion is that you can actually feel TOO MUCH and bite detection can be hit and miss but I suppose this depends on how good you are?

As ever, it's all down to personal preferances.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

I've been using a combi rig with 2-3 inch of soft-braid on the end of about 15 inches of flouro. I find that the stiffer flouro reduces tangling of the trace round the lead or feeder, and is less visible on the bottom (but as most of my fishing is done in dusk/dark, I doubt that metters), but the softer, suppler braid on the end allows the bait to roll about naturally. ( also find it much easier to tie hair rigs and knotless-knots with the 2-3 inch of braid on the end). I belive this originated as a carp rig, and its construction can be found on youtube, but I've been using for about 2 years now

Seems to work OK

I've dabble with Fluoro and had a couple of breaks, though it might well have been an abrasion problem as the river I fish has it's fair share of rocks, etc on the bed. Either way, it makes me nervous, so have recently (this season and the tail end of last) been using coated braid. I've tried a few but really like Kryston Jackal in green or brown.

As to using different materials in certain conditions, the braid works fine in clear water conditions, which I didn't necessarily expect.

I've been switching between braid, fluoro and mono hooklinks in clear water to see whether there is any significant differences between the 3 and I can honestly say I've had more success using a mono hooklink. Probably just coincidence but I always stick to mono now. It's cheaper, behaves itself and when you are putting a hair stop on the loop it's easier because the loop stays open, unlike braid. Nice and simple and I'm happy with it.
I've never liked fluoro because I never have complete confidence in knot strength and even the 'supple' fluoro's aren't that supple, so I've ditched it altogether.

hi ian,i only use mono.to illustrate last week i landed a 16lb 7 oz common carp
on a pond using a pin and 6lb maxima hooklink.i try to keep things simple
ie less things to mess the job up
albert

Back