• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon reel line?

Steven Palmer

Hi All,

I've been using Xline as a FC reel line until now but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on alternative FC reel lines to use?

It's been good but it does have a habit of springing off the spool if not under tension and I'm not overfilling the spool either!

Cheers,

Steven

If the only reason your using the FC is for the weight/sinkability then i would definately give Korda Subline a go, if not and its for clear water fishing Kordas Kontour is very good, these are lines i have used in Carp fishing and they are held in good regard.
Personally i would say X-line is the best flouro out there

Last edited:
The problems you are experiencing are inherent with all flouro mainlines imo.

Though irritating i find i can live with its springy nature - it does what i want it to do and sinks like a stone.

Incidentally i use heavier breaking strains than i would if i was using mono, 15lb on my barbel reels and 17 or 20 on my carp reels - the heavier it is the better it sinks and i feel i need the additional breaking strain with flouro.

If you guys ever get the Tackle Box catalouge, in there they test every mainline they sell with very interesting results. I use it to choose a main line. You will notice in there that fluro breaks WELL below its stated limit so its wise to go heavier with fluro, good old GR60 in 15lb breaks at 24lb!!

And on the same chart, Catana 10lb has a very good strength to diameter ratio. Sinks very well too. Not a fluoro though

me & mate been using ultima power pro floro coated line this season ,12lb on yorkshire rivers 14lb on the tidel trent, both break well above he stated test ,theres a short video on their web site ,as good as owt ive used in the past and got 2 x 1000mtr spools for 25quid from erics after spending a few quid on terminal tackel,worth a look at the film clip:)

The Ultima stuff is very good.
Agree re fluoro being inherently 'springy'..it's just the way it is.
Remember chaps.....choose yer knots carefully with this stuff....:)

Ian

X line and Korda are the same line! Used gamma last year very good line but for no reason bought tiger line in 16 lb this season and it hardy springs about, just spooled it up walked on the field tied end to a fence walked back till the rod was 100yd away from fence and bent into it. Had no issue with spingy coils and landed a few lumps on it as well, best fluoro iv used!!

Back