• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon mainline

Mark Nicholls

Senior Member & Supporter
I use braid for most of my barbel fishing (ledgering), but not on rivers like the Wye, where abrasion resistance is important. I've been using mono mainline and need to re-stock and have been considering fluorocarbon (x-line etc.)
Any thoughts?

I used a strong mono rubbing leader with braid mainline when fishing the Wye.
For snaggy stretches used the old trick of plasticine wrapped round a paper clip as a weight. Also used a stone with a link swivel superglued to the face. Both methods worked well and made tackle loss more bearable. :)

Had bad experiences with fluoro in the past, but found some more 'reliable' than others.

I use X-Line and don't mind it...to be honest its no better than mono though and far more expensive...not sure how 'invisible' it is as it still seems to spook chub fairly solidly in 8 and 10lbs. I will not be re-stocking with it but I haven't had any problems using it...is susceptible to kinking and twisting a bit if used on a fixed spool, no issues on the pins.

Albright knot 6 foot of 20lb black amnesia to your braid mainline. Attach your lead and feeder rig as usual. You won't go wrong. Anybody imo who fished straight through with braid, needs to really think about rig safety etc.

Braid main is fine, with a fluoro leader (3-6ft)...but IMHO, fluoro main is a total no-no. Zero advantage, but loads of (at least potential) probs. As long as you can justify using every element of your gear/rig, then you'll be ok. If abrasion IS a real problem then you could consider braid/mono main, coated braid 'shock' (to ledger/feeder), and a lighter fluoro hooklength (IMHO)
ATVB

Have read before somewhere that some of the carp lads that use Fluoro mainline are paranoid about it discolouring, which makes it 'visible' - I used X-line for years and really liked it but it was expensive and I don't think it gave any real advantage other than a confidence thing, though I now don't bother with it and have used a mono mainline for a number of seasons and it's doing just fine.

As a long time carp angler and user / lover of Fluorocarbon line having landed well over a dozen carp in excess of 45lbs to pb of 68lb I think it can only be ? people tying the wrong knots ?

I know the chief advantages over mono lines are
1 unaffected by sunlight (so can last a few seasons)
2 vastly superior abrasion resistance
3 does not absorb water ( apparently in tests mono can be weakened by up to 30% because of water absorption )
4 sinks like a stone
Cons
you must use certain knots Palomar, tucked blood knot or improved clinch as the Americans call it are really good ones
it does not cast as well as mono

now as I am now being made aware in rivers due possibly to its invisibility ? Barbel spook off it ?

As a long time carp angler and user / lover of Fluorocarbon line having landed well over a dozen carp in excess of 45lbs to pb of 68lb I think it can only be ? people tying the wrong knots ?

I know the chief advantages over mono lines are
1 unaffected by sunlight (so can last a few seasons)
2 vastly superior abrasion resistance
3 does not absorb water ( apparently in tests mono can be weakened by up to 30% because of water absorption )
4 sinks like a stone
Cons
you must use certain knots Palomar, tucked blood knot or improved clinch as the Americans call it are really good ones
it does not cast as well as mono

now as I am now being made aware in rivers due possibly to its invisibility ? Barbel spook off it ?

Haven't noticed barbel spooking off it, have taken a fair few using X-Line...I also had not noticed improved abrasion resistance...mind you I think I was using big game or maybe korum xpert before which is pretty tough stuff.

Haven't noticed barbel spooking off it, have taken a fair few using X-Line...I also had not noticed improved abrasion resistance...mind you I think I was using big game or maybe korum xpert before which is pretty tough stuff.

I think this test will demonstrate the difference between Mono line and the Fluorocarbon line in the abrasion tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEogSQlVeQ

Thanks for the replies gents - some interesting stuff.
It's not that I'm particularly unhappy with my Wye set up - thickish mono and coated braid hooklengths, but was just musing about pros and cons of fluorocarbon mainlines, being more abrasion resistant etc.
I would rather use my preferred powerpro super 8 as mainline but even with 3-4ft hooklenghs I'd still be a bit concerned about the chance of it being broken off on boulders etc.
Jon's 6ft length amnesia sounds quite interesting - is that then used direct to hook and compatible with knotless knot hair rigs? And are you using a heavier mainline?
Probably just over thinking it all but interesting to hear what others are doing.

I reckon the mainline isn't really a visual factor when using quite long hooklinks.

Off on a slight tangent, but still on topic, sort of!

I also think the rod in the air presentation "standard" isn't needed in most cases, It's OK/necessary when the water's pulling through a bit, but in moderate flows that won't pull your end tackle out of position, a low rod tip keeps your mainline lower to the deck, also making mainline choice a bit of a moot point. IMO.

I use good old Daiwa sensor for pretty much all of my river fishing except Piking, for which I use power pro braid.

I'd go as heavy as I think I need to avoid breakages on underwater snags etc, I reckon a lost fish because of a breakage is worse than no bite at all and the result in the net is the same;)

mark, i use amnesia straight through on the reel and for hooklink use one of the korda type coated stuff, it solved most of my problems also i found plasticine lumped round a lead helped the lead to avoid getting jammed in the flinty type bottom as the plasticine is left behind and the lead comes free, incidently i found brown coated hooklinks gave me better results als:)o

I think this test will demonstrate the difference between Mono line and the Fluorocarbon line in the abrasion tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEogSQlVeQ

I've watched that (mumbled) video half a dozen times now and I think it's saying ... Perline's High Abrasion (monofilament/nylon co-polymer) line has much higher abrasion resistance than Perline's Fluorocarbon line. Is that what you've taken from it Gerry ... or am I missing something?

Back