• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon leader issues......

Do the fish spot braid hook lengths?
Yes they do? But do they associate that with danger. Look another way those using braided hook links.,do they catch mostly day or night? I used black amnesia and caught just as well as using fluoro. I went back to fluoro just for the doubt in my mind. Bear in mind I always use a combi link though.

Hi John, I just googled that FC Sniper fluoro that you mention, but there seems to be umpteen different versions of it. They are all made in Japan by Sunline, but why they need so many versions of it is a mystery. I thought Fluoro was fluoro, end of...but it seems not so. I was aware that some companies products seemed better than others, but put that down to some companies cutting corners to make more profit. However, when one company makes lots of different versions, it does beg the questions....why? And, are they really all different? Or is that just a marketing ploy?

Just 'thinking out loud' as it were, 'cos I am weird like that :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave. It's Sunline super fc sniper. White background gold and red lettering. I use it as a leader sometimes but mostly as as my fluoro combi link. Never failed me.

Interesting thoughts, certainly generated some comments and conversation.

As I mentioned I fish the Thames and don't have any issues with the bottom rubbing the line so have been fishing mono strait through with some tungsten droppers range hook end to pin it down. Ive had 2 double figure barbel in 2 weeks so in all honesty I think I'll continue with the current set up in the river.

The gravel pit I originally used it on was also due to the fact that it was gin clear and I was concerned about the braid being too visible and obvious, the tench are big and quite scarce and the lake is a hard water! The bites all seem to come in the first few hours after sunrise so I don't think the fact that the braid is visible makes any difference?

Back