• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floodwater line

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
about to respool my reels I use for floodwater fishing and have used fox Exocet 23Ib last few years but this seems to be out of stock everywhere, or postage is too much for my liking…so wondering what do others recommend?

When I used to do a fair bit of legering for barbel I always liked fox soft steel and fox camo.
I think they do fox soft steel camo now.
Line strength for me was 12lb but they do heavier stuff should someone desire it.

12lb!.
No good up here on the trent Graham. I don't like losing anything tho 🤣
You’ll find Jim, that with many lines break strains mean nothing. It’s the diameter figure that is most important. I won’t go barbel fishing with a line of less than 0.35 and the reason being is I’ve had that suffer damage and still landed fish.

0.35 in my choice of line is 18lb Fox Exocet but it can also be 12lb GR60

I assume you use a long leader with your 40lb braid? When it comes to abrasion resistance braid is far more likely to be cut off than mono.

The Exocet had served me well and 23Ib (0.40) is tough stuff and still supple. I don’t want to use braid for the simple reason of then incorporating a mono leader and more knots and IMO more weak points to possibly fail.
Might try hydrotuff or GR60

The Exocet had served me well and 23Ib (0.40) is tough stuff and still supple. I don’t want to use braid for the simple reason of then incorporating a mono leader and more knots and IMO more weak points to possibly fail.
Might try hydrotuff or GR60
Alan, if you want some GR60, I have a bulk spool, minus 2 reel spools full, its yours if you want it. Just PM me your addy, and i,ll send it to you, just wasn't my cup of tea. No charge. 👍

You’ll find Jim, that with many lines break strains mean nothing. It’s the diameter figure that is most important. I won’t go barbel fishing with a line of less than 0.35 and the reason being is I’ve had that suffer damage and still landed fish.

0.35 in my choice of line is 18lb Fox Exocet but it can also be 12lb GR60

I assume you use a long leader with your 40lb braid? When it comes to abrasion resistance braid is far more likely to be cut off than mono.
Nah!

To a specific bit or every thing I wrote 😂
Most of it really I've used mono for 45yrs, and agree about the high diameter for abrasion resistance.
But have been using fox camo braid in 40lb, and in 4 seasons have lost about 2 leads and no barbel to cutt offs.
And no, I don't use a leader at all, just a foot of tubing.

Well I fished the Trent for a few years near Fiskerton Notts catching plenty of barbel.
Never a problem at all, 44 including a dozen doubles within 2 days and no cut offs one weekend.

Like the Wye, my local river, equally rocky, and the local Severn, play them hard, rod up high.
Not too shabby angling that, but that's commonplace for fiskerton and surrounding areas for me.

Back