• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floodwater fishing tip

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
With these high high water levels in most rivers I hope I can offer some advise to those who feel uncomfortable fishing bank high floodwater. . I've helped couple of anglers recently who have been struggling on the Wye.

The fish will have generally started to spend more time in even paced steady water on the inside.

Now, surprisingly it won't always be the water that seems smooth on the surface.

A time spent dropping a 2-3oz lead or feeder into the margins even in turbulent surface water might well reveal that its actually fairly static on the deck. When testing make sure you allow at least the same amount of line off the reel as the depth of water before stopping the reel.

If the place you select has a back flow its usually better to target where the water just resumes downstream rather than the actual eddy.

As a general rule try to fish upstream...you'll be able to hold the bottom better.

Be prepared to lift into any unusual tip movement, the fish will often not run off giving a wrap round in serious flood water.

If you find a fish its likely more will hold in the same spot. In fact it could end up a red letter day.

Lastly don't be afraid to move around if no joy after an hour or so.
z

Great advice Graham. I must say though I've found more swims with stronger bottom flow than the smooth/slow surface suggests, rather than swims with turbulent surface but linear flow below. I suspect that upstream semi-submerged bushes may slow down the surface layers whilst allowing the lower layers to race through unhindered.
Its always worth a go though innit.
ATVB
Terry

I've not been out during the recent/current floods, but personally would only fish a stretch i know well. I have caught where the surface water was very turbulent at the bottom end of a large eddy. Biggest tip...don't fall in!

I think you need to know what's causing the turbulence. If it's a submerged bush upstream then it might have a nice clean bottom to fish onto! Anthony is right, you need to know the stretch your fishing to know exactly what your chucking into.
Also finding the sweet spot in the swim, often an area you can cast into where you don't pick up leaves and debris getting whipped out every 5 mins. This area usually produces the bites.

Back