• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flood water reels

My flood water gear is now my standard gear for any water, 2.25lb rods and Shimano 10000XTE's

All options covered all of the time. Until recently I used 1.75lb and 6000 GTE's for smaller waters but a barbel doesn't know it's in a small or big water, go heavy, get them in quick!

They pull just the same on heavy gear as they do on lighter gear!

My flood water gear is now my standard gear for any water, 2.25lb rods and Shimano 10000XTE's

All options covered all of the time. Until recently I used 1.75lb and 6000 GTE's for smaller waters but a barbel doesn't know it's in a small or big water, go heavy, get them in quick!

They pull just the same on heavy gear as they do on lighter gear!
Very much the same as you Bob. I did the same for summer barbel on the Trent 4000s and a 1.75, but kept getting found out every now and then. A 6000 shimano and a 2.75 Daiwa has been the perfect match this year..

Hi Bill, i trust your judgement, and have just ordered a 6000 size, thanks for the heads up. 👍
I’ve said before Derek if Okuma did the Pulzar in a 5000 size I’d have ‘em for 95% of my fishing but alas they don’t. Enjoy and let me know what you think when you take delivery.👍

Very much the same as you Bob. I did the same for summer barbel on the Trent 4000s and a 1.75, but kept getting found out every now and then. A 6000 shimano and a 2.75 Daiwa has been the perfect match this year..
Blimey Jon, i guess you'll be selling a lot of your summer gear now !!??

Okuma Inception 6000. Brilliant reels, I have 6 now and use them for all my Barbel and Carp fishing except for small rivers. Crank in 10oz leads no bother at all, excellent quick drag out of the box and a solid bail arm click which gives you confidence when you’ve got a big lead plus pva bag hanging off the rod! Perfectly matched with my Hi S 2.75, and 2.25 Fox Duo when the waters not up as much.

Okuma Inception 6000. Brilliant reels, I have 6 now and use them for all my Barbel and Carp fishing except for small rivers. Crank in 10oz leads no bother at all, excellent quick drag out of the box and a solid bail arm click which gives you confidence when you’ve got a big lead plus pva bag hanging off the rod! Perfectly matched with my Hi S 2.75, and 2.25 Fox Duo when the waters not up as much.
Same for me. Excellent reels.

Two mates now use them after seeing mine in action.

I’ve got some of 6000 pulzars and the line clip is great compared to the shimano OC, the all round quality also stands up well. The only real difference for me is the clutch, which is not as nice on the pulzar. But it’s half the price and in use I don’t think it actually makes any difference to getting a fish in.

I’ve said before Derek if Okuma did the Pulzar in a 5000 size I’d have ‘em for 95% of my fishing but alas they don’t. Enjoy and let me know what you think when you take delivery.👍
Hi Bill, first impressions are excellent, very smooth, and no wobble like some other reels. the spare spool is a bonus. Not many supply a spare one, so you have to pay extra if you want one. I,m that impressed, ive just ordered another. Thanks again Bill. 👍

May have to retire my trusty old shimmy 3500b, had a few issues with it at the fish-in, baitrunner not disengaging a couple of times, and the clutch dial at the back is jammed solid.

Hopefully, the pulzars will be an adequate replacement.

Last edited:
Hi Bill, first impressions are excellent, very smooth, and no wobble like some other reels. the spare spool is a bonus. Not many supply a spare one, so you have to pay extra if you want one. I,m that impressed, ive just ordered another. Thanks again Bill. 👍

May have to retire my trusty old shimmy 3500b, had a few issues with it at the fish-in, baitrunner not disengaging a couple of times, and the clutch dial at the back is jammed solid.

Hopefully, the pulzars will be an adequate replacement.
Glad you are pleased Derek. Personal I don’t like the “plastic” spare spool and tend not to use them. The Pulzars are good but probable won’t “live” as long as your 3500b. Perhaps you should send it off to Rich for a major service now that you have something else to use 👍

Glad you are pleased Derek. Personal I don’t like the “plastic” spare spool and tend not to use them. The Pulzars are good but probable won’t “live” as long as your 3500b. Perhaps you should send it off to Rich for a major service now that you have something else to use 👍
First time ive used the 3500b since i got it back off Rich.

6000 and 8000 shimano's have the same size body just the spool is different. 10000 is slightly different in body size. I use all three on the Thames but much prefer a single handle as you can crank a big lead and a lot of weed much easier than with twn a twin handle. Also a metal spool will take a lot more abuse than plastic ones. Look for a good second hand Shimano as they are much better than new ones or a penn reel they are bomb proof.

Back