• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flood water reels

Paul Bullinger

Senior Member & Supporter
Having just returned from fishing the Wye after the heavy rains had turned it into a chocolate coloured torrent, complete with whole trees floating past, my Shimano 4000 baitrunners struggled to cope with the combined conditions of 4oz feeders, strong current and even stronger barbel.
I searched previous posts hoping to find recommendations for a flood water baitrunner reel, but couldn't find anything.
I have a budget of about £100 and was wondering if any member could recommend a reel with sufficient cranking power to cope with such conditions.
Thank you.

Having just returned from fishing the Wye after the heavy rains had turned it into a chocolate coloured torrent, complete with whole trees floating past, my Shimano 4000 baitrunners struggled to cope with the combined conditions of 4oz feeders, strong current and even stronger barbel.
I searched previous posts hoping to find recommendations for a flood water baitrunner reel, but couldn't find anything.
I have a budget of about £100 and was wondering if any member could recommend a reel with sufficient cranking power to cope with such conditions.
Thank you.

Hello Paul, what about bigger shimano’s, 6000’s I reckon?

Thanks Craig and Mark for swift response. I'm guessing the Shimano 6000's have the gearing necessary to handle extreme conditions? I was quite surprised how much I struggled with my normally reliable 4000's

Thanks Craig and Mark for swift response. I'm guessing the Shimano 6000's have the gearing necessary to handle extreme conditions? I was quite surprised how much I struggled with my normally reliable 4000's
big difference between 4000 and 6000 shimanos Paul

Shimmy 3500b's would be my first choice for a floodwater narnel reel. The line lay is crap (not that I think it matters on a barbel reel), but the clutch is sublime and when you turn the handle to crank heavy leads and feeders in, it just feels effortless. May just be above your budget though for a good used one on Ebay.

6000 / 8000 OCS are also very good, I use them for piking. They are almost the same size with the 8000 only marginally bigger (hard to tell with the naked eye), but the spool capacity is bigger.

Thank you.
Paul,
I love my 4000 OC Shimano’s but have repeatedly said they have a shite line clip. In my quest for a reel with with a decent line clip for feeder fishing for Tench I found the Okuma Pulzar 4000. I liked it so much I bought two 6000 sized models for my Trent Barbel rods and haven’t regretted it for a moment. Plenty of power to crank in 4-6 oz feeders with a good flow on. Don’t be put off by the price, it’s a cracking reel, you should be able to get a 6000 Pulzar for around £60-65.

Just did a quick Google and this came up Paul…£57 for the 6000 size 👍

Last edited:
Cranking power is just simple physics.
The reel body size in itself plays no part in the ease of bringing back a heavy load.
The length of the handle and gear ratio are the two governing factors that will determine how easily you can wind back a heavy load.

You want the former being as long as possible and the latter being as low as possible to obtain the most torque against the load for a given amount of pressure applied to the handle.

The difference between a 4000D and 6000D is just 8mm of handle length. Gear ratio is the same 4.8:1
It will definitely feel a bit easier but not loads.
If you want proper power go to one of these mini pit reels as the handles tend to be substantially longer and they still retain fairly low gear ratios.

I use X-Aero 6000 on my floodwater setup. I've swapped over the handles for singles. I also like the wider spool on them. Works for me, and IMO they look the part too. Not that that is anything to go on.

I've got three, and use them on my Carp set up as well.

Can't fault my old 6010's, bomb proof and you can still find the odd one for sale. 6000 RA are beasts too, newer than 6010's and you could get a pair for under £100.

All of the above - 6000OCs/ Ds would be my advice and have used them on exactly what you were doing( Flooded Wye/ heavy feeders) but I have used old shimmys 6010/8010/6000/8000GTEs, they work perfectly but the clutch isn't as sweet as the more modern front drag reels.
Watch the classifieds as there have been some cracking deals on here recently on OCs and Ds.

If you can live without them being baitrunners (The ice washers fitted compensate for that though) Rob Linwood has got these for sale, they would be ideal too, and are a steal at the price he wants for them!👌

Struggling to see why anyone would need to have a specific "Floodwater" reel? In floods I change many things but not my very reliable Shimano XAero 4000's 😳

Struggling to see why anyone would need to have a specific "Floodwater" reel? In floods I change many things but not my very reliable Shimano XAero 4000's 😳
It’s quite logical Keith, but if you are struggling I’ll help.

In floods, as I’m sure you know, to fish them effectively, everything gets stepped up.

Rods get stronger to cast much heavier pay loads and reels get stepped up. Not only feel more balanced on these beefy rods but to make life easier retrieving these heavy loads, usually covered in weed from a very powerful flow.

A spate river with 6-8 foot on might need 8oz on, in the edge of slack water to make dam sure it’s stays put.

I would want the most cranking power and biggest, strongest gear train inside the reel possible to cope with such situations.

I guess it depends on what people refer to as as “flood” conditions.
I’m from Yorkshire originally and a couple of feet on my now local river nene is a long way off a flood but the locals probably wouldn’t agree.

Hi Keith. Attached pic shows what I mean by "floodwater" conditions! The lower platform got covered in water in about 30 mins as did where I was sitting after being forced to move onto the higher one!!!
20230920_114506.jpg

Hi Keith. Attached pic shows what I mean by "floodwater" conditions! The lower platform got covered in water in about 30 mins as did where I was sitting after being forced to move onto the higher one!!!View attachment 25931
I get that mate, I've fished big flooded rivers all over Europe but would still only change my rods, not my reels!

Only my opinion, each to his own ;)

Paul,
I love my 4000 OC Shimano’s but have repeatedly said they have a shite line clip. In my quest for a reel with with a decent line clip for feeder fishing for Tench I found the Okuma Pulzar 4000. I liked it so much I bought two 6000 sized models for my Trent Barbel rods and haven’t regretted it for a moment. Plenty of power to crank in 4-6 oz feeders with a good flow on. Don’t be put off by the price, it’s a cracking reel, you should be able to get a 6000 Pulzar for around £60-65.

Just did a quick Google and this came up Paul…£57 for the 6000 size 👍

Hi Bill, i trust your judgement, and have just ordered a 6000 size, thanks for the heads up. 👍

Back