• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flood Baits

Ian Wetton

Had a decent day when the conditions were last like this on large pellets.

As loose feed just gets washed away, is there an easy way of making a paste with the pellets to wrap round the bait or has anybody else got any tips ?

Grind up the pellets in a food processor or Korda Krusha etc ...

Crack an egg into a bowl, beat it. Gradually add the ground pellet dust until you get the desired consistency.

I leave mine a tad on the damp side. It dries out a bit in the bag.

Egg based paste will cling to the hookbait that bit longer.

I've found that the paler the pellet, the easier they break down to 'mash' in boiling water (presumably as their oil content is lower). Only JUST cover the pellets in boiling water, and if they've not all broken down after an hour or so, microwave them for about 3mins. The paste does tend to thicken up (go drier) overnight as the water in the mix is adsorbed and absorbed into the fishmeal particles.
If the paste ends up too wet then add some ground pellet. I use a cheapo coffee grinder off eBay...it only processes small amounts at a time, but does a superb job.
Pastes made from egg and ground pellets generally have a better 'pastey' consistency, but a shorter shelf life.
All these pastes take flavours well..and maybe you could consider sticking a feeder on with a sponge inside that can be soaked in a 'glug' of the same flavour.
Conversely, just use big meat..flavoured or not:)
Hope this helps.
ATBA
Terry

Back