• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Floating reel line for the pin

Paul Hamer

hi lads, what line are you using for trotting with the pin and what bs with barbel the main target.

Cheers;)

Drennan floatfish in 6lb but only because I fish a relatively snag free swim with plenty of room.

A lot of people I know use Pro gold. I use Tubertini Gorilla Float Fish in dia 0.20 r 0.18 straight through. Floats really well, is supple and strong. Order on ebay

Floating line for trotting with a pin, best answer is braid in my opinion, floats like a cork, with no grease, other pro's and con's but it's my choice every time.
Cheers
Paul

What brand are you using Paul? Something I've been thinking about for a while. The stuff on my baitrunners is probably too stiff especially from new - Berkley Fireline.

Ultima power plus every time for me. One point though ref floating line, simply use a floating line spray then any line will do. Even makes maxima float.

Gavin, Fireline is a good strong line but the tendency to 'fur up' making a horrible grating noise going through the rings makes it totally unsuitable for trotting.
Spiderwire is good but expensive, something with a tight weave is what's needed. Diameter needs to be something like 6lb Bayer perlon which will have a breaking strain between 15-30lb. Any braid rated at more usual breaking strains, 6-8lb will be so fine it's hard to handle and what with abrasion and the eventual true B.S. after knotting they're just too weak.
When the new braids came out, Don Neish did some extensive knot testing and found a knot that gave about 90% strength, but it's not really viable to tie bankside, a Palomar gives 70% and a grinner only makes 50%.
I'm using 18lb rated presently, so using a palomar, to a swivel, gives me about 12lb and I use hooklinks from 3-8lb.
I'll dig out the braid box and post up the brand later but if it's the right sort of diameter and doesn't fur up if you run a fingernail along it it should be ok. Ignore the stated B.S. I've got some on a fixed spool for spinning and floater fishing that's rated 30lb, not much thicker than the 18lb on the pin.
best of luck with it.
Paul

Here's the one I'm using presently:- Masterline Walker The Rovex Viros.
Looking at the diameters, it's probably the 20lb one, I did get one slightly thinner and exchanged it after examination. The bright yellow colour is very useful for mending line. Just noticed it's only .018mm.
I also noticed that they make some other braids with similar diameters that are only rated about 6lb, so beware. They are probably for IGFA rated fishing.
If you contact them they can tell you a local stockist, their website is 'under development'.
Cheers
Paul

Back