• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float Rod

Shaun Morris

I know this stuff has been done to death, but I would like advice.

I have decided I would like to start catching some Barbel on the float. The nature of the swims I fish dictate 10-12lb main lines.

I am at the bottom end of the market for this one. I have looked at the various 'power' float rods that Dragon Carp sell. The Aventi Isis 14ft River Monster looks as if it might be what I am looking for. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or any of the other cheepies?

Will not spend a lot as I am bound to mistreat the rod when I take it on an 'undergunned' sea outing.

Shaun of the poor

their (dragoncarp) rdx 15ft float rod is capable ,if a tad heavy (heavy at the handle)to hold for long periods (i found one in my stuff ,i forgot i brought) ,i've looked at the 14 isis ,not really a monster stopper but should be ok for sub-double figure barbel.

Thanks Stephen, got the 15ft RDX2 yesterday. Certainly looks up to the job, and hard to believe what you get for £20. I am a bit worried I will have to sit in the middle of the field when fishing my tiny river, sure I will cope.
I intend to grow a beard, only fish when there is snow on the ground, use size 26 hooks, 8oz bottoms, and 1lb mainline. Expect to catch Barbel in the low to mid 20lb range.

Shaun of the very long stiff one.

Back