• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float Rod

Can anybody reccomend a float rod for chub and barbel? I want something that won't leave me undergunned but will be fun to use. It will get used on the Wye and the Hampshire Avon and tench fishing. I haven't got bucket loads to spend, if necessary I'll buy second hand.
Cheers
Paul

Cadence rods good value if buying new, suggest the 14' no 2 or 3 depending on how much power you want, I use the no 3 on the Wye. Check out the website.

That's a good deal.
I got a 16' Cadence Match #3 for chub/barbel on the Swale which is not as big as the Wye but I do like the extra length for long trotting although it does restrict swims I can comfortably fish when I have to fish from the bank.
They do various lengths BTW
From memory about £130 -£150 depending on length which was a fair bit cheaper than the Drennan Acolyte which is also very highly regarded
Had quite a few good chub , not so many barbel, but certainly quality is great, its light enough and will deal with most fish if the hooklink doesn't go first. Hope this helps

I have a spare Daiwa Connoisseur 14ft xp, that I'm selling. £95 delivered. Possibly the best 14ft I know.

That would be ideal and at a very good price.

If I didn’t have too many trotting rods that I don’t use I’d have it off you Jon.

15ft is sold out, which is what I had half an eye on, even before the significant price drop. Got a mate who has one in the 13ft and loves it!

Bargain

I have a spare Daiwa Connoisseur 14ft xp, that I'm selling. £95 delivered. Possibly the best 14ft I know.
How does the XP fair up against the Technium Jon? I understand you’ve got or had both and speak highly of both.
been browsing for a new chub trotting rod for some time as mine is a little on the light side really.

Peter Brownhill mentioned the Drennan Power Float which is a great rod. I just happen to have a 13' one which I would be willing to part with. I live near the Hants Avon outside Downton if you are interested and want to have a look. Tel 01725-514468
Mike

No need to clarify the advert states 13'

Back