• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float rod recommendation .

Steve Prince

Looking for a trotting rod that can be held all day,with the power to stop chub and barbel , but sensitive to play grayling , dace and roach. Would be using it predominantly on the Dove , so not to long maybe 14ft or so . I'd like it to be well balanced with my Abu 506 . Could anyone give me any advise thanks.

this is going to get so many recommendations .........

for me , you would be looking at a medium 'power waggler'

ive got a couple that i would be comfortable using for what you describe , line ratings recommended from 2 1/2 to 8lb range

1 is a daiwa will raison matchwinner xp the other is a trusty old drennan drx power carp waggler

both are 13ft ,comfortable to hold for long periods and both very capable , if im honest the drennan is slightly more powerfull than the daiwa , so choice is dependant on the target

another consideration is the drennan tench float . i have a mk 4 , but havent used it enough yet to compare it to the other 2

One rod that fits that specification exactly is the Drennan super tench float 12'9", I use mine for everything from Dace to Barbel to Carp. I'd be distraught if it got damaged as I wouldn't be looking for anything else and they are rocking horse poo now.

I wish they were Stuart, I've had an alert running for a good few months now and nothing's come up so far.
If anyone has one for sale please let me know.

The best 14ft rod i have handled and used with confidence is daiwas 14ft spectron xp. Its light crisp, forgiving and powerful. Used it on the trent for some bumper catches of Barbel.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've been looking at the drennan series 7 tench float rod, but haven't seen it in the flesh. I know it's not 14ft, but I like the fact its two piece . Has anyone used or owned one , and what is your view. Thanks.

Drennan classic IM9 is a superb rod.

I would suggest the tench float will bump roach dace and grayling.

I wouldn't suggest the stepped up IM9 drennan though. It's heavy.

The Hardy stepped up XP
is lighter and softer and would be ideal if a few barbel are on the agenda.
It's probably the best compromise for the whole range expected.

Graham

The Drennan Tench 7 series are cracking rods.

The best 14ft rod i have handled and used with confidence is daiwas 14ft spectron xp. Its light crisp, forgiving and powerful. Used it on the trent for some bumper catches of Barbel.

Jon is right, the Spectron XP's are very good rods. I've got a 13ft one (unused) for sale if it's of any interest to you Steve.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...-daiwa-spectron-m2-extra-power-float-rod.html

Shortly after buying it, I was able to get hold of an Interceptor Float SU for a steal, and I use that, hence that's why the Spectron is unused.

No worries Steve - happy hunting!

I believe the Chimera float is a belting two piece rod - bit pricy though!

Cheers,

Joe

Back