• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float rod for barbel/chub

I use a Normark Avenger for barbel too, would love another one. Also have 15' TFG TSI and 15' Hardy Marksman Supero which are both plenty powerful enough but they don't handle like the Avenger and obviously heavier. The 14' Spectron sounds great but looks like they are hard to come by too.

Theres a drennan mk1 super tench float rod on ebay but its £130 + £10 pp

is this classic rod good value ? or would you put another £35 and have new Drennan Acolyte compact plus!

does eneyone use the Shakespeare mach xt 13ft rods?

Jonathan I have a mk 1 DRENNAN tench in top condition

Would you do a straight swop for the 15ft tricast?
Ken

Surely a beefed up match is enough

The drennan drx carp wagler is more than capable as already stated

Think I have one tucked away somewhere that hasn't been used in a while .....

Theres a drennan mk1 super tench float rod on ebay but its £130 + £10 pp

is this classic rod good value ? or would you put another £35 and have new Drennan Acolyte compact plus!

does eneyone use the Shakespeare mach xt 13ft rods?

That's way overpriced. I'm tempted to buy the acolyte plus but I've probably got too many rods as it is.

I forgot I have a 13' carbonactive float which is a very nice rod for Chub and small to medium sized barbel, I had the power version which is 12' 9" and very similar to the drennan tench, better for bigger fish than the float

I've got a 14ft mach3 xt, I've had a few barbel on it, I had a 6lber on a small river on it recently which was more difficult lt than it might have been

Dave"

Those Shakespeare mach xt s are good money at around £65 thow" Or do you think you get whot you pay for in fishing!

did pay £300 for a car once and it was a bag of S@@@ :D

going to look at diawa spectron power tomoz and acolyte compact plus"

I use a 14ft Acolyte plus with 5lb main line straight though. Mostly use a closed face ABU on rivers.
Had anything from Roach to double figure Barbel with it.
A nice sensitive tip with a very strong progressive backbone. I also use it for float/waggler work on commercials and on canals. A very good all round float/waggler rod that's worth every penny of the selling price.

I can vouch for the drennan IM9 Classic, if you can find one.
I've had plenty of 4lb plus chub on it recently and with 7lb mainline I'm using could easily deal with a barbel providing you play it correctly.

Had a near River 4lb perch on it last week. Great actioned rod!
that's one big perch! my second fave fish after the Barbel :D

I use a 14ft Acolyte plus with 5lb main line straight though. Mostly use a closed face ABU on rivers.
Had anything from Roach to double figure Barbel with it.
A nice sensitive tip with a very strong progressive backbone. I also use it for float/waggler work on commercials and on canals. A very good all round float/waggler rod that's worth every penny of the selling price.
is that the 3 piece acolyte plus mate? and would the 13ft compact be the same action as 2 piece with small screw but section"

I seem to be doing a bit more float fishing these days especially in the winter,I've had a Daiwa Ivan marks lightning 13ft since 1984,usually paired up with an Abu 506m or 501 then got my first pin a few years ago which is a joy to use.Does anyone remember these rods?
I think an upgrade is well overdue to modern standards.

Daiwa have a new range out with input from Dave Harrell. Pricey but you won't be thinking what if. Also look at the new Daiwa powermesh power float. So mUchida choice really.

Back