• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flavouring bait....

Julian Griffiths

Senior Member & Supporter
Morning guys.

My parents birthday over the weekend, so my missus & I made them a cake.... That's the boring bit.😂

The interesting bit, and I'm sure most of you lads are the same. Whenever she's cooking/baking I'm watching her using flavourings spices etc & I'm thinking fishing! 😂

Yesterday she was using cake flavouring, something called Madagascan Vanilla...

When it comes to tins of sweet corn & maggots or any other similar baits.
How would you go about using these shop brought flavourings?
Couple of drops to a tin, a teaspoon?

And with these shop brought flavourings, do you need to be wary of how much you add. Flavours from the likes of J. B can be very highly concentrated, just wondering if it's the same for these homebaking ones?

Cheers everyone. 👍

Hi Julian,

See if you can find a book by Archie Braddock on flavouring bait. I think it's out of print or Rod Hutchinson's bait book. Rod's book has a chapter on supermarket baits and Archie's has a lot on spices.

Nick

The book is Fantastic Feeder Fishing - cracking book but have a pen and paper next to you when you read it because otherwise you get idea overload.

Frank Warwick's Every Bit of Blue is another good read in that respect.

Sweet corn already has a flavour! It’s sweet corn flavour and fish love it. If they are wising up to baits like this, that smell and taste perfect in their natural state, then I’d be more inclined to change the colour or appearance rather than mess with something they already love the taste of.

Sweet corn already has a flavour! It’s sweet corn flavour and fish love it. If they are wising up to baits like this, that smell and taste perfect in their natural state, then I’d be more inclined to change the colour or appearance rather than mess with something they already love the taste of.
Yes! Food colouring is a great shout too!

1728839062091.jpeg

Back