• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flavoured meat

Always fascinated me the whole 'smell' thing. Absolute myth in my eyes. Fish can't smell, so adding and changing baits based on how they smell or appeal to us, is a pointless exercise in my opinion. Attractors based on the science behind it, absolutely. Frying baits to add flavouring, seems counterproductive to me, sealing the baits and potentially preventing leakage etc.
If sealing baits by frying, a leakage of what are you potentially preventing?

I'm not a fryer myself and use meat as it is from the can.

Always fascinated me the whole 'smell' thing. Absolute myth in my eyes. Fish can't smell, so adding and changing baits based on how they smell or appeal to us, is a pointless exercise in my opinion. Attractors based on the science behind it, absolutely. Frying baits to add flavouring, seems counterproductive to me, sealing the baits and potentially preventing leakage etc.
I think your going against scientific opinion when you say fish can't smell. You only need to Google it to find lots of evidence otherwise.

I think your going against scientific opinion when you say fish can't smell. You only need to Google it to find lots of evidence otherwise.
I think i have probably worded that badly, but what i am trying to say is that increased smell to our nose, does not necessarily mean the same for fish. Their sensory organs work very differently to ours of course.

I think i have probably worded that badly, but what i am trying to say is that increased smell to our nose, does not necessarily mean the same for fish. Their sensory organs work very differently to ours of course.
Yep, fish have chemoreception (physiological response of a sense organ to a chemical stimulus) not 'smell' as we know it.

Artificial flavours create local PH change which produce an investigation trigger, and a local one at that. Hydrolised products have far more appeal in my humble opinion 👌

Last edited:
I was going to try scopex on meat on the tidal Trent as I've heard it supposedly keeps the crabs away. Not sure if it works or not, anybody on here tried it

I was going to try scopex on meat on the tidal Trent as I've heard it supposedly keeps the crabs away. Not sure if it works or not, anybody on here tried it

My mate only ever uses Scopex Squid when he fishes carp lakes, nothing else. He got Crayfished out at Linear using it. I was using a fishmeal bait and didn't suffer like he did. Not the same I know, just another viewpoint.

I thought it was eels that don’t like scopex
That's what Lol Breakespeare reckons (he said it on here a few years ago). To me it just smells like caramel toffee, pleasant but I can't see it keeping any critters away. I've caught on Scopex, but it wouldn't ever be a 'go-to' bait/boilie/flavour for me.

That's what Lol Breakespeare reckons (he said it on here a few years ago). To me it just smells like caramel toffee, pleasant but I can't see it keeping any critters away. I've caught on Scopex, but it wouldn't ever be a 'go-to' bait/boilie/flavour for me.
I thought I'd read it on here about it keeping the mitten crabs away. Might be getting mixed up with something.

Here’s a thought:

At the Game Fair last week my other half bought some dog treats for our new rescue dog.

JR pet products, Pure Pate. Comes in tubes 80, 200, 400 or 800g. Lots of different ‘flavours’.

It looks to me like a sophisticated version of the old favourite Mattesons garlic sausage - which in its day emptied the B Avon for my mates and I.

It has a long shelf life (1 year plus) and then can be frozen once opened.

Today we used the salmon version and the dogs (unsurprisingly) absolutely loved it.

It could make a very good bait…..but it isn’t cheap.

Just for the record, I have no connection with the manufacturer - it just looks like a good product.

Back