• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

flavoured maggots.

A few weeks ago I had a session using unflavoured maggots and had a bite every cast, usually within 20 seconds of casting in, and I subsequently landed several of the biggest lumps I have ever seen....some quite possibly river records :eek:

Sadly, they were all crayfish :(

Does anyone now of a flavour that barbel love, but which these little monsters hate?

If you do....patent it now (after you have PM'd it to me of course) you won't need to win the lottery then :D

Of course, if a certain person who catches monster barbel on the pin, seemingly at will, had shown me how to do it, I might have the confidence to try that method, thuss avoiding the little barstewards :p:D:p

Cheers, Dave.

They will happily take a trotted moving bait too Dave, pretty good swimmers the little buggers!!!

I have noticed from piking that they don't like lamprey, maybe a very strong lamprey type flavour??

They will happily take a trotted moving bait too Dave, pretty good swimmers the little buggers!!!

I have noticed from piking that they don't like lamprey, maybe a very strong lamprey type flavour??

Thanks for that Ian, certainly sounds like it could well be worth a try. I suppose 'Essence of big hungry pike' might put the barbel off as well :D

Cheers, Dave.

David

I might be tempted to have another afternoon at a water that we both know of around Xmas.

I will PM you when I know my work dates.

IMO, experimenting is the way, as posted before hemp oil? Anaseed oil, curry powder works well for barbel mixed with luncheon meat, I think anything is well worth a try if it doesn't work you'll know for next time, trial and error is a good form of succes going on experiance.

On flavouring, bait soaks are better than concentrated liquids, more diluted and usually sweetened so no bitter back taste.

A few weeks ago I had a session using unflavoured maggots and had a bite every cast, usually within 20 seconds of casting in, and I subsequently landed several of the biggest lumps I have ever seen....some quite possibly river records :eek:

Sadly, they were all crayfish :(

Does anyone now of a flavour that barbel love, but which these little monsters hate?

If you do....patent it now (after you have PM'd it to me of course) you won't need to win the lottery then :D

Of course, if a certain person who catches monster barbel on the pin, seemingly at will, had shown me how to do it, I might have the confidence to try that method, thuss avoiding the little barstewards :p:D:p

Cheers, Dave.

David, i was once told by a Russian mate that he had never caught a Signal cray on Beluga Caviar, having looked into this i reckon it would mix brilliantly say 50/50 with hempseed, the other upside is that the best quality stuff is readily available at Harrods and other good stores, also, hookbaits soaked in micturition extract really puts em off as well ;)

Last edited:
David, i was once told by a Russian mate that he had never caught a Signal cray on Beluga Caviar, having looked into this i reckon it would mix brilliantly say 50/50 with hempseed, the other upside is that the best quality stuff is readily available at Harrods and other good stores, also, hookbaits soaked in micturition extract really puts em off as well ;)

I have to concur with your Russian friend Simon, even though it had slipped my mind until you mentioned it.....I can honestly say that I too have never had a single Signal cray on Beluga caviar. Must have a word with Mohamed, see if he has any stored in his lock-up.

The second idea sounds equally feasible....extracting the micturition seems to have the desired effect in most situations. Never tried it myself of course :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Never ever use any micturition!!!

I take it Chris....but I never use it.....................:p

Just read about you and several other reprobates in Thailand a couple of years back, fishing a lake 'where monsters dwell' :p Seems that you and the gang were having some serious 'micturition up' sessions between catching Mecong cats and Arapaima etc. :D

I assume the red tailed cat in your avatar was caught on that trip Chris?

Cheers, Dave.

PS. Sorry to go WAY off thread again peeps....it's senility.

Last edited:
Back