• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

flavoured maggots.

Yes have used both liquids and powders and appear to work.
However, now prefer to use a spray (Richworth do some good ones).
If you carry one in your bag you can apply as and when on the bank.
Found it them useful on other baits.
Cheers
Bob

Have a look at Archie Braddocks flavours, think they are marketed by Richworth's. Someone could tell me wrong though.
Geranium oil works for me.

Liquid flavouring for me (well for the maggots), a drop or two of Archie Braddocks Fruit Surprise the night before to get them well saturated.

Excellent tench method, probably better for them than barbel in my experience (not that that helps any :))

Are Braddock's baits still available? Could tell users of the liquids a mile off - Archies Aftershave's we used to call them! :D

I have used powder flavour on my maggots for the last 4 years and for the last two years I have used powder flavours from All Season Baits.

For me less is more so I do not over do the flavour, but I do like to mask any Ammonia that is on my bait, there will always be a hint of Ammonia even on freshly cleaned bait!

I suppose it is a confidence thing, I am very confident it works so I flavour them without fail.

Liquid flavouring for me (well for the maggots), a drop or two of Archie Braddocks Fruit Surprise the night before to get them well saturated.

Excellent tench method, probably better for them than barbel in my experience (not that that helps any :))
and mega tench is back as well.:D

thanks for all the useful replies chaps.I remembering using powder termaric on maggots when fishing for roach in cold weather.with so much to choose from I.d better get experimenting.
cheers.nige

Had a lot of success feeder fishing for barbel in the winter in the past with maggots liberally soaked with scopex spray.

A few weeks ago I had a session using unflavoured maggots and had a bite every cast, usually within 20 seconds of casting in, and I subsequently landed several of the biggest lumps I have ever seen....some quite possibly river records :eek:

Sadly, they were all crayfish :(

Does anyone now of a flavour that barbel love, but which these little monsters hate?

If you do....patent it now (after you have PM'd it to me of course) you won't need to win the lottery then :D

Of course, if a certain person who catches monster barbel on the pin, seemingly at will, had shown me how to do it, I might have the confidence to try that method, thuss avoiding the little barstewards :p:D:p

Cheers, Dave.

Back