• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fixed spool reel sizes

Paul Collins

Don't use fixed spool reels much but occasionally have to.
Was away from Coarse fishing for some time and now classifications seem to have evolved, 4,5 6,000 or bigger or smaller.
Can anybdy explain the the codes please?
I've got 4 and 5000 reels and as far as I can see.they're almost exactly the same size . I'd imagined it was the spool size.
What's the criteria?

Last edited:
Don't use fixed spool reels much but occasionally have to.
Was away from Coarse fishing for some time and now classifications seem to have evolved, 4,5 6,000 or bigger or smaller.
Can anybdy explain the the codes please?
I've got 4 and 5000 reels and as far as I can see.they're almost exactly the same size . I'd imagined it was the spool size.
What's the criteria?
There isn’t a code that covers it unfortunately. The best your going to get that makes any sense really is to group them up into models then use the number system and it makes some sense. For example a shimano 4000d 6000d 8000d 12000d these go nicely up in size with the number and they are all the same model. Throw an old 3500b in there and everything goes to shit because it’s size falls between the 6000 and 8000. Or go with an ultegra 5500 pit reel and again that messes up the system because it’s probably bigger then the 8000d. Then swap brands altogether and pick up a daiwa ss300 or a okuma or whatever and again the numbers have no relation whatsoever to the first group of reels you were looking at.
so only way they make sense is in their own family

Throw an old 3500b in there and everything goes to shit because it’s size falls between the 6000 and 8000.

Had no idea about that, Richard! I own a pair but, like Paul, rarely (if ever) use a fixed spool. Always thought the body seemed quite small. Is it the spool capacity that places it there (between 6000 and 8000)?

Had no idea about that, Richard! I own a pair but, like Paul, rarely (if ever) use a fixed spool. Always thought the body seemed quite small. Is it the spool capacity that places it there (between 6000 and 8000)?
I’m not sure about spool size. Certainly line capacity but I hate to say it ..... small they ain’t. They are a big heavy lump compared to a modern 4000

2EA702DB-E1E9-4018-8032-3EC772C1F996.jpeg

Def makes life silly - sometimes its related to spool capacity (whilst the body size remains the same), sometimes to body size (albeit with spool capacities remaining the same), sometimes both with both differing! Each manufacturer makes their own daft sizing rules - some of which are historic, others just because they feel like creating a new number to annoy everyone . .

Best advice is to go instore and have a play - makes buying online / blind a bit like buying clothes online; unless your buying a repear purchase its hit & miss . . .

You can't rely on the numbers for much, even from a single manufacturer. With Shimano, the numbers tend to give a vague indication of either spool size (or capacity) and rotor size. Body sizes can be the same throughout, or only vary at a certain point in a range. A 4000 sized rear drag reel will seem enormous compared to the majority of Shimano's comparable front drag reels. However, some models feature oversized spools which seem even bigger than directly comparable alternative models with the same number designation. On top of all that, you've got 4500 and 5500 models that are actually mini-pit reels that can be bigger than even 8 and 10000 sized Baitrunners.

Don't buy reels blind unless you can get very accurate advice on exactly what size they are and how they compare to a reel you might be familiar with. Whilst I've cited Shimano reels because I'm most familiar with them, don't count on the other manufacturers being significantly different.

Daiw
You can't rely on the numbers for much, even from a single manufacturer. With Shimano, the numbers tend to give a vague indication of either spool size (or capacity) and rotor size. Body sizes can be the same throughout, or only vary at a certain point in a range. A 4000 sized rear drag reel will seem enormous compared to the majority of Shimano's comparable front drag reels. However, some models feature oversized spools which seem even bigger than directly comparable alternative models with the same number designation. On top of all that, you've got 4500 and 5500 models that are actually mini-pit reels that can be bigger than even 8 and 10000 sized Baitrunners.

Don't buy reels blind unless you can get very accurate advice on exactly what size they are and how they compare to a reel you might be familiar with. Whilst I've cited Shimano reels because I'm most familiar with them, don't count on the other manufacturers being significantly different.
Daiwa are just as bad if not worse -

Daiwa LT 5000S Feeder
Daiwa 25 Distance Feeder
Daiwa 20 Zon Distance 25
Daiwa 20 GS BR 3000/4000
Daiwa 19 TDM 3012QD
Daiwa 19 Emcast BR 4000c
Daiwa 19 Castizm Feeder 25QD
Daiwa 18 TDR 3012QD
Daiwa 18 Ninja LT 6000 . . . . . . .etc . . . .Basically - WTF . . ????!!!

Daiw

Daiwa are just as bad if not worse -

Daiwa LT 5000S Feeder
Daiwa 25 Distance Feeder
Daiwa 20 Zon Distance 25
Daiwa 20 GS BR 3000/4000
Daiwa 19 TDM 3012QD
Daiwa 19 Emcast BR 4000c
Daiwa 19 Castizm Feeder 25QD
Daiwa 18 TDR 3012QD
Daiwa 18 Ninja LT 6000 . . . . . . .etc . . . .Basically - WTF . . ????!!!
Just to add to the confusion, Daiwa have just changed the way they number reels. As I understand it, the 18/19/20 bit refers to the year of release. This is to help with the different models they have with the same basic name. TDR, TDM, Ninja etc have been used over and over with little differentiation between different models. LT in the name indicates a light weight material being used, or at least it being lighter than the previous incarnation of the reel with the same name. What the 25 prefix is about is beyond me. I believe the 25 as a suffix denotes it as a distance/mini pit reel.

The old 20**, 25**, 30** and 40** that I'd just got a handle on has been dumped for a straight forward 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000. I believe that may go hand in hand with a slight shift in sizing too. The bit I've denoted by an asterisk in the old system, 2504, 2506 2508, 3010, 3012, 4012 etc, was actually a reference to the line capacity (ie depth) of the spool fitted. A 2504, 2506 and 2508 spool would all share the same dimensions (and often interchange between reels), but the smaller the last two digits, the shallower the spool.

The bottom line remains, if you've not seen the reel, don't make assumptions about the size based on an arbitrary number.

Just to add to the confusion, Daiwa have just changed the way they number reels. As I understand it, the 18/19/20 bit refers to the year of release. This is to help with the different models they have with the same basic name. TDR, TDM, Ninja etc have been used over and over with little differentiation between different models. LT in the name indicates a light weight material being used, or at least it being lighter than the previous incarnation of the reel with the same name. What the 25 prefix is about is beyond me. I believe the 25 as a suffix denotes it as a distance/mini pit reel.

The old 20**, 25**, 30** and 40** that I'd just got a handle on has been dumped for a straight forward 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000. I believe that may go hand in hand with a slight shift in sizing too. The bit I've denoted by an asterisk in the old system, 2504, 2506 2508, 3010, 3012, 4012 etc, was actually a reference to the line capacity (ie depth) of the spool fitted. A 2504, 2506 and 2508 spool would all share the same dimensions (and often interchange between reels), but the smaller the last two digits, the shallower the spool.

The bottom line remains, if you've not seen the reel, don't make assumptions about the size based on an arbitrary number.
Top work Detective Jones! As you say still clear as mud - maybe the numbering is designed for Japanese markets . . ?

I've bought a few really good quality reels from China. I've had a few real stinkers over the years too. The stinkers have all been Diawa branded bought here.
Buying from China, every site I've visited gives very accurate dimensions and weights as to every aspect of their reels or any type of tackle or clothing.
I hate to break the news but Diawa reels are cheap reels from China with a massive mark up.
I'm pretty sure every reel on there will be far better quality than any Daiwa reel on sale in the UK today.
I'm not saying it matters much but it seems the higher the number of ball bearings the better quality the reel is. My 2 are 12+1 or 13+1.
I've not seen a Daiwa with more than 5.
I got one similarly rated for use for occasional use on a club water that has banned braid, for about 6 quid. Perfectly usable but a piece of crud compared to the others. Something like it is what Daiwa are selling for£60 ish.

I've bought a few really good quality reels from China. I've had a few real stinkers over the years too. The stinkers have all been Diawa branded bought here.
Buying from China, every site I've visited gives very accurate dimensions and weights as to every aspect of their reels or any type of tackle or clothing.
I hate to break the news but Diawa reels are cheap reels from China with a massive mark up.

Back