• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Five o'clock Shadow

Stephen Scaysbrook

I caught this barbel a couple of weeks ago off the Derbyshire Derwent. It was 11lb 14oz a river pb for me but what struck me most about the fish is it's black head and big tail.
Any one have any thoughts on its head.

11lb14ozAmbastonpeg5316813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Its just an hardcore fish lol. Not a clue but youll certainly know it lol

its probably genetically modified Scaz,
Ive only fished the river once but with the tree lined sanitary products at Borrowash its probably on HRT and doesnt know it

to be fair mate the 5 o clock shadow may be that of your camera looking at the shadows in the background

I'm sure Stephen noticed the strange colouring before he looked at the photos though. It looks like a pigmentation thing, the kind of colouring that sometimes makes large bream two tone

Partial colour changes/two tone fish etc. are often temporary phenomena down to the shock of capture, whereas others seem permanent....pigment irregularities perhaps, as in any other critter. I rather like the Greek female explanation though :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

There used to be a lovely albino one which turned up in catch reports fairly regularly, I've also seen a bright orange ornamental one for sale in my local aquarium and pond center. It was about 10 inches long and they wanted £350 for it. The guy said they were natural genetic anomalies and turned up occasionally in captive breeding but would probably be picked off fairly quick in the wild.

Back