• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fitting a screw seat

Dan Whitelock

Hi chaps,

With the closed season around the corner, I'm looking for something to keep me out of mischief. I'm thinking about refurbing my old John Wilson avon/quiver rod for next winter's chubbing trips. I'd like to fit a screw reel seat to it instead of those dodgy old sliding rings. Is it an easy enough job? Any special tools I need? Are most Fuji reel seats the same diameter, or near enough?
If I can fix a jet engine I'm reasonably confident I've got some skills somewhere to modify an old rod!

Cheers,
Dan

Quite a few options Dan, but to do properly there's usually an amount of 'hackery'. stripping, rewhipping, cork work being some of the operations. If you wanted just to firm up the collars there are an option or two. If you wanted to avoid some of this and could live with a slightly 'unconventional' reel seat, then a Fuji plate seat might be considered - it's whipped on top of the cork.
Lots of Fuji reel seats, types and sizes to choose from - have a look in the following links:

Fuji - Reel Seats

Plate seat:
http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/559/category/325

Other general tips:

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/page/tips

Always drop me a mail nearer the time bobgill173@btinternet.com
Best of luck,
Bob

Hi chaps,

With the closed season around the corner, I'm looking for something to keep me out of mischief. I'm thinking about refurbing my old John Wilson avon/quiver rod for next winter's chubbing trips. I'd like to fit a screw reel seat to it instead of those dodgy old sliding rings. Is it an easy enough job? Any special tools I need? Are most Fuji reel seats the same diameter, or near enough?
If I can fix a jet engine I'm reasonably confident I've got some skills somewhere to modify an old rod!

Cheers,
Dan
Actually bought one s/h with a screw down seat, the original green blank, also have two other later ones, but the original seems less wibbly wobbly:rolleyes: I used gaffer tape to secure, little bank side cred, but does the job.

That's great thank you Bob. I did consider a bit of black tape as a temporary bodge but would like to make bit of a project out of it, classic rod and it's perfect for chub!

Back